Peroxolyte Chemistry

CaOCl2

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2007
Montreal Canada
Saw this on the web today, www.ceswaterquality.com/truoxpart1.pps , the second part is also available.

Anyone heard of this peroxolyte product by truoxdirect.com? Apparently it's a patented product , EPA approved, and when added to water, "peroxolytes hydrolyze and become unstable. The peroxolyte undergoes a process of lysis whereby it decomposes at its oxygen bonds. This process destabilizes the electron balance of the molecule causing an electron shift, resulting in the formation of a highly energized (3100 mV) organic scavenging radical."

They also mention it significantly drops the CYA through oxidation, anyways I don't have much more info, I'm just sharing what I have. (I tried a patent search but really couldn't find much).

I have no connections whatsoever with this, I'm just mentionning it for discussion purposes.

Did you get an EPA approval number. Many scam products are EPA approved, but not as pool sanitizers. Not saying that's a scam, but it sure smells like one to me.

The stuff is just MPS with some slick marketing! Whenever anything sounds too good to be true it usually is!Here is the MSDS.

Also, in researching this I did find that the name was changed from "chlorine companion" to "purolyte" but they are the same product! Here is the link!link!

The Patent cited above certainly does not apply to this product since it is stated time and again that the product is a non halogen oxidizer that must be used in conjuntion with a halogen sanitizer and also it is recommened that a MPS interfernece removing test for chlorine be used!

The patent cited was a very broad one and some of the halogens in the patent were bromine based. This patent seems more applicable to a non chlorine bromine tablet.

The guy behind this technology is Roy Martin who had quite a few patents at U.S. Filter/Stranco, United States Filter Corporation, and Siemens Water Technologies as shown in this patent list. He is currently vice president at Truox and wrote an article for PPOA here that pretty much mimics the presentation. Though Purolyte and New Beginning appear to be persulfate compounds as described here, it is unclear what Purolyte Plus is. They talk a little about some technology here mostly of a delivery mechanism. Some pending patents are shown here.

The closest patent (application) related to what may be Purolyte Plus is shown here. This is a monopersulfate salt with a cobalt metal catalyst. Interestingly, in a discussion with Dupont about MPS they mentioned how cobalt will catalyze MPS reactions -- I think that was in response to a query I had since silver seemed to catalyze chlorine reactions or at least disinfection so I was wondering how MPS did in such an environment (say, with Nature2). This was to see if there was any basis to the new Nature2 procedure that seemingly doesn't use chlorine (much). Anyway, it does appear that Purolyte Plus is a combination of a persulfate (though not a traditional 3-salt MPS) with cobalt.

This would explain the unusually high ORP and their technical description that sounded more like persulfate. It's persulfate that's catalyzed by cobalt via the production of radicals, just like they said. So I wouldn't discount this as traditional MPS. It is probably superior and for difficult persistent combined chlorine situations, it's probably a good thing to use. It also appears to be good for Crypto and Giardia that chlorine has trouble with -- that would help in public pools that get a "discharge" where they won't have to close down for as long nor use high chlorine levels that aren't that effective against Crypto.

Richard

yet sodium percarbonate, which was used in commercial pools at one time, but discontinued for it's negative effect on ORP readings, has basically the same effect on persistant CC and probabaly on crypto and giardia also since it is such a powerful oxidizer.

I am still a bit skeptical since the term "peroxolates" seems to have been invented by truex and the PPOA article was written by Martin after he joined the board of PPOA.

I have a feeling that this technology might share some of the same disadvaagtes of sodium percarbonate if everything was fully disclosed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.