Pool looks like I poached eggs in it..

Aug 11, 2010
Well I am not sure if this is algae or not. I did have an algae problem last week after returning from 3 days away and it seemed to clear up with algacide and vacuuming and a recharge of D.E. I say seemed to clear up because, while it was crystal clear, the pool smelled a little "off" like a Lake or something might.

Today I noticed it was not so crystal clear anymore and the smell was stronger and now there was some white frothy junk floating on the top in some spots. I shocked it, added a top up dose of BQ (i was at 30 PPM) and raised the PH a little and not an hour later this frothy junk has pretty much taken over the surface of the pool.

Not sure what to do from here. I have been skimming the froth off but it does not seem to make a difference.

IMAG0964.jpg

IMAG0968.jpg

Looks like soapy water to me
IMAG0971.jpg

Keep shocking via directions in Pool School.

The foam is prob from the algaecide. We only occassionally recommend an algaecide and when we do, it is PolyQuat60. :wink:

The lake/pond smell is one of the tell-tell signs of algae.

What is BQ? What is 30ppm?

We could advise much better if you post a full set of test results.

Ah, yes. Probably an overdose of the algacidie. Will shocking it more break that junk up or is there a better way to remove the froth?

PH 7.
Alkalinity 170
Biquanide 40-45 (this was the BQ, Butterfly)

I think trying to remove the froth is useless. Just having your pump running will create more of it until your levels go down. I wouldn't recommend adding any more Biquanide just yet either. That might add to your problem instead of helping it, though I may be wrong. That's the problem with BQ and test strips... neither are reliable. I fought similar problems for 3 summers before I converted to chlorine. Maybe someone who knows more about this than I do can chime in and give you some advice as to what to do about the high level of algaecide. I don't know if more BQ would oxidize it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.