Pool water and bird poop

ktdave

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2007
Katy, TX
I took a quick look at the pool today and noticed that a bunch of birds had a "poop" party on a power line that runs above my pool. From what I could tell, there must have been at least 20-30 "droppings" floating on the surface and sitting on the bottom of my pool :shock: . I haven't had the chance to take a sample to see if any CC's have increased, but I don't expect much if any since the water temperature is close to 45 degrees. My concern is that if this happens in the heat of the summer, could I expect to have to shock the pool after such an event?

there coming after ya dave, looks like its time to move :lol:

that happened alot during the summer here, never made much difference.

i just vacumed it up, sampled, and shocked if needed, but never saw much of a spike, but that may be because i have more water than you .

Hmmmm, well, I never knew it would float. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm not sure that knowledge will help me from this point forward, but, I have to admit, it's interesting to know.

(Sorry, too much time on my hands)

lol i guess im gunna be shocking alot this summer then.

but yea, i dont know if i would feel comfortable with a big powerline over my pool, windy day and alot of birds, and POP there goes the line of what ever voltage in to 11k gallons of water with you in it.

or you can be like these guys and not care. throwing caution to the wind. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: notice the power strip floating on a pair of flip flops.

Attachments

• IMAGE_1_1.jpg
    IMAGE_1_1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 348
duraleigh said:
I never knew it would float.
Me neither, I guess I've got some weight conscious birds eating "light"...HA! :lol:

Hotrod30 said:
What kind of a power line is over your pool?
Technically, I don't know what kind. Our subdivision has underground lines, so this is some sort of "primary" line that distributes among subdivisions, our property backs up to a drainage ditch (called a bayou in these parts) so, the county can put "stuff" back there. This power line is taller than your average neighborhood line, probably close to 100' high, but is still on a regular "treated tree trunk" pole. It's not directly above the pool, but when the wind is right, and birds are there......you get the idea!

BTW, I noticed running my pump only 2 hrs a day and my Legend Platinum cleaner only 1 hr, took care of the poop in just 1 cycle. And I tested the water and had no CC and the FC has held steady for 3 days with no help from SWG (too cold).

As far as these birds go, they are grackels (black rats with wings), which I didn't think were "migratory", but I've noticed they will congregate like this in huge flocks in the morning about two times per year.

ktdave said:
duraleigh said:
I never knew it would float.
Me neither, I guess I've got some weight conscious birds eating "light"...HA! :lol:

Hotrod30 said:
What kind of a power line is over your pool?
Technically, I don't know what kind. Our subdivision has underground lines, so this is some sort of "primary" line that distributes among subdivisions, our property backs up to a drainage ditch (called a bayou in these parts) so, the county can put "stuff" back there. This power line is taller than your average neighborhood line, probably close to 100' high, but is still on a regular "treated tree trunk" pole. It's not directly above the pool, but when the wind is right, and birds are there......you get the idea!

BTW, I noticed running my pump only 2 hrs a day and my Legend Platinum cleaner only 1 hr, took care of the poop in just 1 cycle. And I tested the water and had no CC and the FC has held steady for 3 days with no help from SWG (too cold).

As far as these birds go, they are grackels (black rats with wings), which I didn't think were "migratory", but I've noticed they will congregate like this in huge flocks in the morning about two times per year.

do you have cable????

that really sounds like a cable line for your house then, which i dont think can shock that badly. because we have under ground lines here too ( for hurricane purposes) and about 2 months ago we got notice of our cable lines (even though i have directv) being put under ground and they need to dig up our front lawn ( right after verizon came and dug it up to put fios wire in LOL), but if its a lone wire and all your electrical is under ground, thats what it sounds like, if you get curious enough, go CUT IT, with your hedge trimmer and see if you loose cable or not :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure that this will help with your 100 foot tall powerlines, but maybe this idea will help others with animal problems.

[flash width=400 height=400]http://raccoon-x.com/videos/crowloop_high.swf[/flash]

Titanium

I had this problem through the later part of summer (that would be fall for you Northerners). But the birds decided my waterfall would be a great bird bath. So they were constantly in the pooling water, playing and pooping. It was gross. I have no idea how to fix that issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.