Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool water and bird poop

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool water and bird poop

I took a quick look at the pool today and noticed that a bunch of birds had a "poop" party on a power line that runs above my pool. From what I could tell, there must have been at least 20-30 "droppings" floating on the surface and sitting on the bottom of my pool . I haven't had the chance to take a sample to see if any CC's have increased, but I don't expect much if any since the water temperature is close to 45 degrees. My concern is that if this happens in the heat of the summer, could I expect to have to shock the pool after such an event?
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2
    there coming after ya dave, looks like its time to move

that happened alot during the summer here, never made much difference.

i just vacumed it up, sampled, and shocked if needed, but never saw much of a spike, but that may be because i have more water than you .

3. Back To Top    #3
    Even if the numbers didn't justify it, I think I would shock just out of paranoia if I found a buch of bird poop in the pool.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Hmmmm, well, I never knew it would float.
    I'm not sure that knowledge will help me from this point forward, but, I have to admit, it's interesting to know.

(Sorry, too much time on my hands)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I think I would shock also. It would make me feel better. What kind of a power line is over your pool?
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

6. Back To Top    #6
    lol i guess im gunna be shocking alot this summer then.

but yea, i dont know if i would feel comfortable with a big powerline over my pool, windy day and alot of birds, and POP there goes the line of what ever voltage in to 11k gallons of water with you in it.

or you can be like these guys and not care. throwing caution to the wind. notice the power strip floating on a pair of flip flops.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7
    They definitely look like candidates for a Darwin Award!

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow... talk about chlorinating the gene pool.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I never knew it would float.
    Me neither, I guess I've got some weight conscious birds eating "light"...HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod30
    What kind of a power line is over your pool?
    Technically, I don't know what kind. Our subdivision has underground lines, so this is some sort of "primary" line that distributes among subdivisions, our property backs up to a drainage ditch (called a bayou in these parts) so, the county can put "stuff" back there. This power line is taller than your average neighborhood line, probably close to 100' high, but is still on a regular "treated tree trunk" pole. It's not directly above the pool, but when the wind is right, and birds are there......you get the idea!

BTW, I noticed running my pump only 2 hrs a day and my Legend Platinum cleaner only 1 hr, took care of the poop in just 1 cycle. And I tested the water and had no CC and the FC has held steady for 3 days with no help from SWG (too cold).

As far as these birds go, they are grackels (black rats with wings), which I didn't think were "migratory", but I've noticed they will congregate like this in huge flocks in the morning about two times per year.
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ktdave
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I never knew it would float.
    Me neither, I guess I've got some weight conscious birds eating "light"...HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod30
    What kind of a power line is over your pool?
    Technically, I don't know what kind. Our subdivision has underground lines, so this is some sort of "primary" line that distributes among subdivisions, our property backs up to a drainage ditch (called a bayou in these parts) so, the county can put "stuff" back there. This power line is taller than your average neighborhood line, probably close to 100' high, but is still on a regular "treated tree trunk" pole. It's not directly above the pool, but when the wind is right, and birds are there......you get the idea!

BTW, I noticed running my pump only 2 hrs a day and my Legend Platinum cleaner only 1 hr, took care of the poop in just 1 cycle. And I tested the water and had no CC and the FC has held steady for 3 days with no help from SWG (too cold).

As far as these birds go, they are grackels (black rats with wings), which I didn't think were "migratory", but I've noticed they will congregate like this in huge flocks in the morning about two times per year.
    do you have cable????

that really sounds like a cable line for your house then, which i dont think can shock that badly. because we have under ground lines here too ( for hurricane purposes) and about 2 months ago we got notice of our cable lines (even though i have directv) being put under ground and they need to dig up our front lawn ( right after verizon came and dug it up to put fios wire in LOL), but if its a lone wire and all your electrical is under ground, thats what it sounds like, if you get curious enough, go CUT IT, with your hedge trimmer and see if you loose cable or not

11. Back To Top    #11

Thunder,
    Where did you find that picture? Unbelievable!!
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

12. Back To Top    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DLSDO
    Thunder,
    i found it off another forum, not sure where he got it. 8)

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry
    Hey, that's me and my cousin, Vern.......over at his house riggin' up some music for a party.

I know we could both lose a pound or two pounds and drink a little better beer but what's the problem?
    Dave S. - Forum owner

14. Back To Top    #14
    Ain't that just another way to "SHOCK" the pool?
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

15. Back To Top    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by ktdave
    Ain't that just another way to "SHOCK" the pool?
    yea that will kill more than just germs, LOL.

sometimes i just throw a car battery in to the pool when i run out of shock.

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm not sure that this will help with your 100 foot tall powerlines, but maybe this idea will help others with animal problems.

[flash width=400 height=400]http://raccoon-x.com/videos/crowloop_high.swf[/flash]

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

17. Back To Top    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium
    I'm not sure that this will help with your 100 foot tall powerlines, but maybe this idea will help others with animal problems.
    That would be perfect, I just need to figure out how to rig it 100' in the air !
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    TF Test Kits

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry
    That would be perfect, I just need to figure out how to rig it 100' in the air
    Simply connect it to a lamp chord like me and Vern got in the pitchur!
    Dave S. - Forum owner

19. Back To Top    #19

I had this problem through the later part of summer (that would be fall for you Northerners). But the birds decided my waterfall would be a great bird bath. So they were constantly in the pooling water, playing and pooping. It was gross. I have no idea how to fix that issue.
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

20. Back To Top    #20
    If you rig some string or fishing line in the air above where the birds like to play they will usually stay away. They don't like being around obstructions that they might fly into.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast