Green swamp after closed for a year

Mule

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2010
Hello swimmers,
I have a green swamp and have read Jason's post for how to deal with it. However,
I'm not very smart and misery loves company, so I thought I would post my progress,
or lack thereof. Please feel free to critique or heckle anything that I post.
Last year, I finally finished installation of my SWCG just in time to close the pool.
Presumably, it will work if I can get the swamp under control (just in time to close it
again).

Here's some numbers:
FC CYA TA PH
8AUG2011: 0 0 120 >8.2
Added 0 128oz liquid 10 cups dry acid
2 cups solid in a sock mixed in water
in the skimmer

9AUG2011: 0 16? (<20) 100 8.2

Questions:
1. Should I worry about making it sparkle before I close??
2. I imagine that I need CYA and pH under control before beginning treatment for
algae. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
3. I have the filter on recirc until I start adding bleach (lliquid). Is that ok for now?
Please let me know. Thanks. Mule

1) You should be able to clean it up in a week and have is sparkling in two, but you can close when it gets cold out regardless of how that goes.

2) You absolutely want PH under control before you start shocking, but CYA doesn't need to be just right.

3) Recirculate is fine for now. Once you start adding chlorine you will want it on filter as much as possible.

Your numbers are hard to read formatted horizontally like that. Here's what I got.

8/8/11
FC = 0
CYA = 0
TA = 120
pH = 8.2

8/9/11
FC = 0
CYA = 16
TA = 100
pH = 8.2

You've added
Zero FC
128oz liquid CYA
10 cups of dry acid
and cups of something solid in a sock. :scratch:

Since most kits only read pH to 8.2 I'd adjust that first. Get it down to 7.2 or so.
Once you do that then get your CYA to about 30 or so and shock it till you pass the OCLT.
Getting it right now and closing it right now will make opening it mich easier next year.

Maybe the data will align better this time:

FC CYA TA pH
8AUG2011 0 0 120 >8.2
+128 oz liq stab +10 cups dry acid
+2 cups solid

9AUG 2011 0 16? (<20) 100 8.2
I'm going to try to post it again. It removed the spaces. Mjle

Thanks Bama. I did add some conditioner in a sock and hung it in the skimmer.
I added 2 cups yesterday and 3 cups today. I guess I'm off to Leslies to buy more
dry acid. Thanks for the quick replies. Mule

10AUG2011 update:
FC=0
CYA<20 added 3 cups in a sock in the skimmer
pH=7.5 added 5 cups solid mixed in water in a bucket and added to pool
I may start to shock with about two hours before sunset and see if I can make any progress.
Do you think that is a waste of time? Thanks again for all the help! Mule

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.