Will an SWG save me money?

Technigogo

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
I have a 30,000 pool. I am using the BBB method which is working great. Only problem is I am adding about $2.30 worth of Clorox nightly (and that's from Costco!) I figure that at around $70 per month, if a SWG will last 3 years on a cell then I'm thinking I will save money over my current expenses. We just bought this house in April so I don't yet have a full year of pool expenses to base this off of; just the last three weeks of BBB.

Am I thinking right?

An SWG saves some people money, costs others extra. Overall, an SWG is unlikely to save you a large amount of money, but saving something is quite likely on a large pool if you buy one of the less expensive units.

I love my SWG, would never give it up. I got a fancy one, and I'm sure it cost me more than bleach, but I've never regretted it.

You can certainly install a SWG yourself for less than $1000, though you could easily spend more if you wanted to.

I believe I'm saving money, but that is just gut feel. I've never NOT had one, so I can't run the numbers. If you get one, just be sure to get your salt (the plain stuff, no additives) at Home Depot for $5 for 40 lbs instead of the pool store where it is $25-30. Buy the salt for water softners.

I once heard the Pool show guy on the radio say that the cost of the cell is about the same as the cost of the chlorine after the 3 years cell life. I also know that the control system can go out, so there may be more to replace after that cell goes out.

Don't forget to factor in your time. What is it worth to you to have a system that requires less chlorine maintenance? I like it because when I go on vacation, or if I'm really busy at work, it takes care of itself. Then again, as an uneducated pool buyer I ended up with a puck feeder so I could always use that when I go on vacation.

I think its worth it just not to have to add chlorine! Was having to constantly check and add, then having to run to the store to buy it, then take time to add it.
My levels were always low too, like 0-2.

Now with just running the SWG for 48 hours, I have it up to 5.

I tell you, just recycling all the 1 gallon jugs would convince me to get an SWG. I love my SWG. I don't do anything with chlorine at all throughout the year. Only have to add a little muriatic acid about every other day. A few jugs recycled is no issue. As Marauder indicates, add the fuel costs to go to Costco each time to get more clorox and you're probably going to make out with the SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.