Autopilot, Aquarite, or CompuPool?

jsw5620

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2011
Pike Road, AL
I edited this because I have narrowed it down to these three. Anyone make any suggestions as to which and why? Can any of these automatically adjust chlorine output?

Anyone provide any feedback or suggestions on a new SWG system for my pool? My current one is not working and really isn't the best from what I have been told. Cell was manufactured back in 05 so it is probably at the end of it's life. Bells and whistles are a plus on the new one :-D

Re: Looking for suggestions and opinions for new SWG

In order of increasing price, I suggest CompuPool, AquaRite, and AutoPilot. There are many good units, those are just my personal faves. AutoPilot has the most bells and whistles, and is the most expensive.

Re: Looking for suggestions and opinions for new SWG

Thanks, Jason! How about reliability? Those are the three I was looking at along with the circupool. Is the aquarite pro with the sense and dispense worth the extra or is that really unnecessary?

They all have fairly good reliability records, though CompuPool hasn't been around long enough to collect much long term data.

Avoid ORP controllers for outdoor pools, they add complexity and reduce reliability while providing little if any benefit. PH control is handy in some special situations, such as when you have high TA fill water and a high evaporation rate.

Cool thanks! Only differences I can find between Autopilot and Compupool is the manifold with the bypass and sensor, and the salinity test. So now I have to figure out if those features are really worth double the money.

bobodaclown said:
I've got a Compupool CPSC 48. I'm pretty happy with it. If you have any specific questions I'll try my best to answer them.

Thanks! I'm just trying to decide if it is worth spending double the money for the autopilot. I'd hate to buy the compupool and then kick myself in the butt later on down the road or vice versa with the autopilot. Buying stuff is always stressful for me. Buying a new TV was a nightmare :lol:

Why are you buying a SWCG? I bought mine cause I didn't want to lug bleach, add every day, and have to worry about missing a day. Price was the biggest deciding factor for me. My setup is basic with only a Intermatic timer to cycle the pump and SWCG. I test every day or every couple days TC/PH. I oversized my unit and it's working well with a 7 hour run time.
Got my pool in May, installed the SWCG in June, so far so good. I did have to increase the run time in July but am able to reduce my run time as the days get shorter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The extras on the AutoPilot are certainly nice to have, but hardly essential. The two noticeable extras are a large alpha/numeric display that says things in English instead of codes, and automatic temperature compensation which increases the chlorine output as the temperature increases.

bobodaclown said:
Why are you buying a SWCG? I bought mine cause I didn't want to lug bleach, add every day, and have to worry about missing a day. Price was the biggest deciding factor for me. My setup is basic with only a Intermatic timer to cycle the pump and SWCG. I test every day or every couple days TC/PH. I oversized my unit and it's working well with a 7 hour run time.
Got my pool in May, installed the SWCG in June, so far so good. I did have to increase the run time in July but am able to reduce my run time as the days get shorter.

I bought a foreclosed home a few months ago with a pool. It has a SWCG but I am not sure when it was installed. It was manufactured back in 05. It is a Polaris Autoclear Plus and from what I have read and heard they are not very reliable and there are no adjustments besides temp and run time. I'll look at it and it'll read 3500ppm on salt and all is well and a couple hours later it is saying 2400ppm and to add salt. I'd hate to spend $600 on a cell and then a month later the controller go out. I feel it isn't working because of the readings on the display and also I have to add bleach constantly to keep the FC up even with the unit on. My setup is basically the same as yours but a different SWCG.

JasonLion said:
The extras on the AutoPilot are certainly nice to have, but hardly essential. The two noticeable extras are a large alpha/numeric display that says things in English instead of codes, and automatic temperature compensation which increases the chlorine output as the temperature increases.

I have been reading the online manuals both units. The recommended levels on both units require a higher TA and a lower FC level than the recommended levels I am at from here. Is it OK to stay with the levels recommended on TFP?

JasonLion said:

How well does the temperature compensation work? I like the idea of "set it and forget it." The more automated and less testing and tweaking I have to do the better, one of the reasons to go SWG. Just that you have to pay alot more for the convenience.

I have been very happy with the temperature compensation. It seems to just work most of the time. I did have some problems with it at first. It is best to set it up when the temperatures are warm. When I originally set it up when the temperatures were very cold and it turned out to be way off when things warmed up. But doing it the other way, setting it when the water was warm, worked very well when the water got cold.

Has Compupool ironed out the issues with the salt/temp readings? Any recommendations online for ordering? I think I am leaning more towards the Autopilot Digital. Will make up my mind today as I will be ordering in the morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.