Look at all the RUST!

Aug 8, 2011
OK, purchased home with 27ft above ground pool. Pool was put installed in 1997. Have been using pool all last summer and upon opening it this summer, we had to clean a bunch of rust from the bottom. Noticed the rust on what I believe are the rails (please correct as necessary as I am not completely familiar with pool terminology). It is all along the rails and as bad as the pictures get all along the rails.

Are these replaceable? Is a new pool in order? The pool functions properly, as does the new pump and filter, everything works wonderfully. There is just a lot a rust everywhere and I fear it is not only corrupting the pool water but, and hopefully not, damaging the pool itself beyond repair.

The old owners weren't much of the fix it with new parts kinda people, duck tape was their friend. It seems they may have let this go a little too long.

Any advice?

Attachments

• use1.JPG
    use1.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 279
  • use3.JPG
    use3.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 277
  • use4.JPG
    use4.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 277
I am currently looking into who the manufacturer is (need to find the manual that came with the house!). I am in the middle of Kentucky, so I wouldn't think salt air is the is the problem. A serious lack of maintenance on the previous owner's part is still my bet! :)

That rust is bad... I'd be stumped too. Wire brushing it and painting won't do any good. Anything that rusty needs to be replaced IMO. Did you ever find out who the mfr. is and do they have parts you can replace? Those screws probably won't even be un-screwable.

The joints look dangerous. Is there a joint cover that is supposed to be there?

I know, nothing helpful in my post but maybe bumping again will get someone who knows something to notice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.