Chem Levels Min/Max

kenmar

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2009
Schnecksville, PA
This question might be best answered by Chemgeek or Jason.

As you may know, I am writing a pool testing app for Droid phones (SimplePool.)
Currently, I am not validating users input.
As such, a person could enter a value that is wildly unrealistic (pH of 2, FC of 500, etc.)
I would like to limit users to entering only reasonable numbers.

Can you tell me what are reasonable min/max values (values that either are at the limits of testing, practicality, or safety) for the following measurements?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CYA
CH
TDS
Salt
Borates

Again, I am not looking for normal ranges, but the min/max value a person may reasonably be able to measure/enter.

Thanks so much,

-Ken-

Well, I'm not Jason or chemgeek, but from my own history and some opinion..

FC should go to 50, the max the FAS-DPD can test
pH, I'd look at the various brands of test kits and test strips, and go with the min and max you see there
TA, I've personally had over 200, can't remember what it was exactly
CYA, by dilution, I got between 220 and 240. That's very easy to reach if the previous owner fed it a steady diet of pucks. I'd go to 300 at least
CH: I've hit 1100 before. I imagine places like Las Vegas or Needles could go even higher.

My rain ph is very low, so allowing the app to plug in numbers below test kit numbers would be nice if say, I wanted to play with raising the rain's ph (don't ask me why I'd do that, I probably wouldn't. I just wouldn't want to be limited). I like how the pool calculator allows me to enter values down to zero on everything.

Max values is another story. However with chlorine, one could use the calculator for anything one wanted to add chlorine to and 50ppm is high for a pool but it isn't for cleaning purposes. Being able to calculate small volumes if one wanted for just about any reason is nice.

One of the central problems is that extreme situations do occur occasionally. This doesn't happen very often, but it is nice to allow for them somehow.

FC 0-40 extreme:80
PH 6.4 to 8.6 extreme: 4 to 10
TA 0-200 extreme 400
CH 0-800 extreme 1400
CYA 0-200 extreme 400
Salt 0-5500 extreme 40,000
Borates 0-80 extreme 120
TDS - ignore completely, but 0-6,000 extreme 50,000

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.