New from MA

Aug 8, 2011
Central MA
I'm Peter from central (M)assachusetts (the M is optional). I've had a 27' round above ground pool for three years now. My wife and I use it every day if possible (I guess my son likes it too :-D )

I've never had any issues with it until this season when the spider gasket in the top of the sand filter just blew out and was totally gone. I replaced it of course but then I had a green pool which I've cured but now my auto-chlorine unit is not putting enough chlorine into the pool. Anyway, it's almost back to normal just a little cloudy. I'll shock it again.

Glad to find this place. After reading what I have I'm beginning to doubt the triclor tab auto dispenser unit I use.

You have very good reason to doubt the effectiveness of the trichlor dispenser. Pool stores love the things because it keeps you coming back in for expensive refills. You think you're adding the right things, but your also continually adding additional ingredients to your pool with each puck that can build up and cause you problems over time.

The very first thing I would suggest you do is look at the test kits recommended here and get yourself one ordered.

Then... read through pool school and learn about easy pool care and find out how easy it is to have a sparkling pool with little effort all season.

I am not a moderator here nor am I associated with the forums other than having found this place when I put in my pool. I've used the advice here and never looked back. Have friends that have had troubles with their pool and have had compliments from other pool owners about how crystal clear my water is. The people here are genuine and helpful... I love it!!

Welcome!

Thanks! I'm definitely ordering a test kit. I used strips until now and I don't believe the readings I'm seeing. I had to drain it down to the lower port to replace the spider gasket in my sand filter. That was fun. So now I'm trying to get back to clear now that I refilled it via my well. My water is naturally neutral, I find myself having to add soda and borax. Already discovered the BBB method due to a couple friends.