Pent-Air auto chlorinator not feeding properly

Aug 8, 2011
Central MA
I have a Pent-Air auto chlorinator that doesn't appear to be feeding enough (or any) chlorine into the pool. I checked and made sure the two small black hoses running out of it are clear, water runs through them just fine. I took a test strip and stuck it right where the water feeds back into the pool and it was barely purple, indicating some chlorine is making it in, just not enough.

I'm wondering if my sand filter is trapping it all somehow. The unit is definitely not clogged in fact one of the lines is brand new. I guess I'll have to keep shocking it until I can figure this out. I'll backwash the filter once more tonight.

-Confused in (M)assachusetts

From Pool School: "The CYA that they put into your pool water doesn't get used up, and instead accumulates. Eventually the CYA level will build up to a point that renders your chlorine ineffective. Typically, everything is fine, until one day you start to develop algae and don't understand why."

This sounds like my problem. How do I get rid of it?

Another update. My water is not green any longer as of yesterday, but a bit cloudy due to lack of alk and ph. Fixable. I'm also now doubting my test strips and I'll order the kit recommended here. I'll get there. This is the first time I've ever had an issue. I can smell chlorine but i'm barely getting a reading for TC and nothing for FC.

As is typical I figured this one out for myself. After adding an entire large BJ's size bag of baking soda and an entire box of borax to the pool I finally got the water balanced. One gallon of LQ and I'm back in business.

One thing that surprises me is that it was NOT because of a high CYA level, in fact that level is quite low. This Saturday (when I actually have the time to get there) I will take a sample to my pool store and have it professionally tested and make any adjustments I need to. The water should now clear up nicely. :whoot:

You're fooling yourself by thinking the readings from the pool store are 'professional'. It's been proved time and time again on here that pool store numbers are usually very wrong. And their CYA numbers are atrocious!

Also the smell you're getting is from CC's which are bad. Your pool shouldn't smell. The fact that you're getting a TC number but no FC number is proof of that.

I bet your chlorinator is fine but you have an algae outbreak and you need to shock properly. Shock is a process and not something you throw in your pool and hope it clears up.

Go ahead and get the kit and take control of your pool.

My readings look good now. Apparently I've reached shock level. My CYA number is way down though which really surprised me. i will add some. I WILL get the kit for sure. I need to go out and check it again now that I'm home once this storm passes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.