Drained and Confused

May 23, 2011
Stockton, CA
After trying to clear some very murky water it was decided that the pool would be drained! The pool just wasn't becoming clear after turning light grey, even holding shock level for multiple days on end.
There was lots of sand and gunk all over the surface and strange bumps, almost the appearance of tiny barnacles, covering all of the walls and the floor of the deep end. There is also lots of discoloring which is also more prominent in the deep end.

As far as where to go from here I'm a bit lost. Should I:
-Scrub off all the bumps and refill?
-Paint over the bumps with pool paint (epoxy or latex)?
-Scrub and then paint?

All pictures can be clicked for super size!

The deep end with major discoloration

Bumps

Here is a closeup of the bumps, with hand for size comparison

The bumps do come off, but not easily. It seems as though it would take a long time to scrub off and would require some sort of wire/metal brush/pad. Another option could be a pressure washer but I don't want to spend the money renting one if it's not worth the hassle or time. What are yout thoughts TFP?

So, Terryspoolboy is helping me with this pool.... It is true there isn't any paint currently in the pool, it is just the plaster, but I was considering painting over the plaster with a dark blue. I was looking at Home Depot and they have 2 different types of paint; 1 is Acryllic and 1 is a rubber base. Is there any advice on which paint to use or scratch the idea all together? Also, as far as these brown bumbs (which are pretty sharp) should we remove these first or could we just paint right over them?
Thank you for all of your help.

Painting is never a good solution. Besides the barnacles (which are nubbins of calcium scale), how does the plaster feel? Smooth or rough? An acid wash will remove the scale, but if the plaster is already in bad shape, it may do even more harm. That is a job for a professional.

The plaster does seem fine, and is smooth after the calcium nubbins are removed. There are a few trouble area's that could call for repair such as the steps into the shallow end. Would you suggest scrubbing this calcium up before refilling the pool or will they eventually fall off with proper chemical upkeep and fresh water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.