Who to trust - pool store readings or Taylor Kit? CYA? FC?

RawhideKid

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 16, 2010
I'm pretty anal about testing, but ran out of the chemical to do the CYA test.....Tough test anyway, so took a sample to local pool store.

They matched my salt water and pH dead on the same (7.5 and 3200).

My worries - I tested my FC as 5.5 - they said 3!!!
MY TA is 100, and CH is 180. CYA is 55.

I just started up my SWG 2 weeks ago. Was slow to add salt as didn't want to overdo it. I added one more bag just now since i'm at 3200 which should put me just right about goal of 3400. (12th total bags)

I decreased my SWG setting from 70% down to 50% two days ago because my FC was up to 6.5, which was getting a little high. Since it was down to 5.5, I thought I was ok, but if the store is correct and it is down to 3, perhaps I put it too low. Don't want it to get too low.

I put some CYA (800 grams) in two t-shirts and hung them (duct tape:) in the strainers. Amazingly complex process the store gave me to put this stuff in - or to put it directly in with my filters....hope I did this right. I may have to add 1-2 more, but thought i'd start here and see where my CYA is in a week.

Any thoughts here ? Am I doing ok? thanks!

RK

Re: Who to trust - pool store readings or Taylor Kit? CYA? F

Definitely trust your own test results. Not only is pool store testing hit or miss, but it is also common for FC to go away during the trip to the pool store, while the other levels generally don't change (PH a little).

It is easiest to add CYA by putting it in an old sock or stocking and putting that in the skimmer.

Re: Who to trust - pool store readings or Taylor Kit? CYA? F

I have GOT to figure out how to post photos. YES - incredible pool.

Yup - FAS DPD test. I'll trust my FC level.

As for the CYA in the sock trick - sure is a HECK of a lot easier than what the store told me to do. I found a couple of old rags, poured the CYA powder in the middle, and pulled up the corners. Duct taped the corners together to sorta make a sock, and hung them (2 of them) in the skimmers (not strainer). I'll run the pump for 24 hours at least for full circulation, and recheck CYA in a week or so.

I'm amazed how many people are amazed I do all my own testing (pretty much) and all my own chemical adding. So far, so good, (lots of compliments) and thx to all the info on this site!

RK

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.