Newbie, blowing lines, from skimmer anywhere else?

Jan 14, 2008
Indiana
I am new next year when I go to blow lines out, Is the skimmer the only place I need to blow out? Will it blow out my return lines too? I really dont have a place to hook up after pump? curious. No valves, just in and out threw filter pump and auto chlorinator.? Also when adding Antifreeze how do I need to disconnect pump and add after pump???
Need some advice hope u can help?
I would like to do it myself instead of hiring someone....
Frankjr8

For a simple system, with just one skimmer and one return and nothing else, all you need to do is blow from the skimmer and the water will come out the return. I then add anti-freeze to the simmer (easy) and to the return (a little tricky, a curved funnel helps). Sometimes, particularly with more complex plumbing setups, it is simpler to open up a union at the pump and blow from there. They key is to be sure each line gets blown out. With several skimmers and/or returns you sometimes have to blow from the pump area, depending on how many and which valves you have. Remember to leave the drains on the pump and filter open at the end, it is often handy to put the drain plugs in the pump strainer basket so you don't lose them.

Oh I have 2 returns, should u lower the water level, below skimmer when doing this? I dont have any valves, maybe i should plumb a y pipe at intake and output before goes into concrete.
So if I blow threw skimmer will I produce enough to blow both returns out too? what do u reccommed to use, and produce enough pressure?
Thanks
frankjr8

I'm not sure of your setup, but if it is solid pipe from where the lines come out of the ground to the pump and then solid pipe from the filter to the ground, I would put in a union in each line. You must get as much water out of each line as you can. I live in growing area 4a; which is winters down to -25 deg F.

On closing the pool, the water level is taken down to below the returns. The unions allow me to blow out each line from the pump house separately using an air hose from the air compressor in the garage. I set the compressor to 90#; the pool is about 80 feet from the garage. After each line is blown out good, then blown out again. I then plug the returns in the pool and add anti-freeze, 1 gal in the 10 foot return line and 4 gals in the 45 foot return line. Then I bleed the lines by loosing up the plugs until the air stops coming out; then tighten.

The skimmers are blown out from both ends. The gizmos(sp) are put in and 4 gals of anti-freeze are put in each line. (35 foot and 40 foot) I then loosen the gizmos to let any built up air out. then tighten. I then put on the skimmer face plates and then pour 2 gals of anti-freeze in each skimmer basket area. For those that are wondering; I use 20 gals of anti-freeze (RV Anti-freeze, WalMart, $3.49 a gal). Anti-freeze is cheaper than digging for a broken line. On pool start-up, I have a system for getting all the anti-freeze out of the lines, not put in the pool.

The filter is in the pump house; out of sunlight. The pump is brought in to the cellar; 220 volt plug and unions make it easy. The booster pump and the Rola-chem are also brought in.

Right now, it is -2 deg and the wind is blowing. The pool is full, right up to the coping and frozen solid covered by about 14 inches of snow.

When you close your pool; close it to face a record low temp winter for your area.

The weather has broke and was looking in my skimmer, was curious, I have a gizmo in it and also a plug next to it, my first year messing with the pool, is the plug the for a reason?, does it need removed for proper operation???? I knoe to rmove gizmo but plug??
Frank

Many skimmers have two openings in the bottom. One goes to the pump and the other is either blocked off or goes to the main drain. If yours goes to the main drain then you need to remove the plug. If it is just blocked off because it doesn't connect to anything then it should stay blocked off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.