Can I use an old heat pump from my house for pool?

jsw5620

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2011
Pike Road, AL
I have an old 3.5 ton rheem heat pump (outside and inside units) that I removed from my house. Any way that I can convert this and use it to cool my pool in the summer (water is 95 degrees now) and heat it in the winter? I have searched and not really come across anything yet. Some way that I can have pool water running across the coils instead of air like it was originally intended?

I am not going to take a stab at the heat pump. On cooling in the summer, I have a hose bibb on the pressure side of my pump and if I hook a hose to it and just shoot a full stream of water into the pool it will knock of several degrees in maybe 10 min. That is a lot cheaper and easier than running a heat pump or chiller. I'll leave the heat pump conversion to the more adventurous among us.

jsw5620 said:
Just got an email back from them. He stated that the 3.5 ton unit I have is way to small for my pool but it could be integrated. He said I'd need at least a 5.5 ton.
Wow, takes 5 1/2 tons, that's a lot of heat pump. The power company would love you.

Lots of folks want to look at alternative means of moving heat into or out of their pools, and while it's good that they are thinking about it, most really don't realize how massive a heat load a swimming pool really is. Lots of BTU potential in that thar pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.