Add Stablizer to new Pool with SWG?

May 27, 2011
Hello:
I have been following this forum (and reading "Pool School") for the past 3 months. Thanks for all the info!!

We just completed an install of a new 16 x 32 vinyl pool, approx 17k gallons, (w/ AutoPilot SWG, AquaCal Heat Pump, StaRite Cartridge Filter) and have a few questions.

Pool was filled 2 days ago by truck and SWG/Pump/Filter started yesterday. Pump was is set to run 8am-5pm. Pool is in the sun most of the day. I inquired about Stabilizer, however, the PB was confident we do not need any.

I prepurchased a TF100 Kit and took some readings this afternoon.

FC 0
CYA 0
PH 7.2
TA 80
Salt is approx 3700ppm

I just set the Pump/SWG to run 24hrs with Boost on High and plan to take readings tomorrow afternoon again.

I am concerned about the FC reading 0 and CYA at 0. Should I just wait a few more days before doing anything?? Also, what about Ph, is 7.2 to low?

Thanks again for everyones insight.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Yes, you need stabilizer. Recommended level between 60 & 80.

I suggest you turn off the SWG until 24 hours after the CYA is added.
Use bleach/liquid chlorine to maintain FC level until the SWG can keep up.

Your pH is fine for now as it will climb naturally with a SWG.

I inquired about Stabilizer, however, the PB was confident we do not need any.
This is for your PB's comment: :hammer: :hammer:

You can also read about your AutoPilot at AutoPilot.com or refer to your owner's manual.

Have you found/used the PoolCalculator.com yet?

Congrats on your TF100 test kit :goodjob:

Don't worry, it will all work out :)

Thanks for the good info ( and quick). I just added 5#'s of Stabilizer and 1.5 gallons 6% bleach. Yes, the Pool calculator is very handy and I just downloaded app on iphone.

I Plan to let pump run for next 24 hrs and retest tomorrow night.

wtrav8r said:
Thanks for the good info ( and quick). I just added 5#'s of Stabilizer and 1.5 gallons 6% bleach. Yes, the Pool calculator is very handy and I just downloaded app on iphone.

I Plan to let pump run for next 24 hrs and retest tomorrow night.
Okay, 5#'s CYA will get you to about 35 and you want to double that (as I am sure you know).

Before you add more CYA, test FC/CC and do the OCLT to make sure there is not a problem with your water. After all, the water was in for two days and your FC was zero. If you do need to shock, better/easier/cheaper at CYA 35 than 70!

As Sportman said, don't bother testing CYA for about a week. Simply 'assume' the amount you added is in your pool doing its job 24 hours after adding it.

Keep a log of chemicals/how much you add to the pool :wink:

We should be seeing a pic of the new pool before too long, right? :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.