How much water should a pool lose on a weekly basis?

ccp

Nov 7, 2010
I owner built my pool and it is the first pool I have ever had. I am wondering how much water a pool should lose from normal use and evaporation. I am in South California.
Also, is there a way to test if I am losing water from other areas besides evaporation.
Thanks for your help.

Losing more than an inch a week is not unusual in areas with low humidity and high temperatures. You can check to see how much is evaporation by putting a bucket of water on a step so the level in the bucket and the level in the pool are the same. If there is a leak, the pool will go down more quickly than the bucket, which should be obvious after a couple of days.

Take a 5 gal bucket and fill it half full. Mark the waterline with a sharpie and set the bucket next to the pool. Mark your tile inside the pool. check the 2 after a couple of days. If the bucket has lost an inch so should your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.