Variable speed pump

joelh1

Apr 28, 2011
Hello,

I am a new pool owner (first swim 2 days ago). I have a Jandy Stealth ePump (1.5 hp) and my pool is 13,000 gallons. The pool builder has been running my pump on full speed, 23 hours per day, as part of their start up plan.

When this start up period is over, I would like to set my pump with a program that give me good energy efficiency. My pool builder says I need to run the pump on maximum speed 8 hours per day, but if that is the case, why have a variable speed pump?

I would appreciate your recommendations and any explanation of which speeds are cost effective.

Thanks

Ask your PB is he is willing to pay your power bill. :wink:

The fact is, you probably will rarely if ever need to run the pump at full speed unless you have spa. Even a pool cleaner will work on lower speeds although usually you have to run at a decent flow rate for most cleaners to work properly.

The Jandy like most other VS pumps has the best efficiency around 800-1000 RPM. However, this is fairly low flow rate 20-30 GPM so it is best used for just circulation.

mas985 said:
Ask your PB is he is willing to pay your power bill. :wink:

The fact is, you probably will rarely if ever need to run the pump at full speed unless you have spa. Even a pool cleaner will work on lower speeds although usually you have to run at a decent flow rate for most cleaners to work properly.

The Jandy like most other VS pumps has the best efficiency around 800-1000 RPM. However, this is fairly low flow rate 20-30 GPM so it is best used for just circulation.
Thanks, MAS.

Just for circulation and cleaning purposes, could I run the pump 11 hours per day at 1000 RPM to filter the entire pool?

Should I be running the pump in the day or at night. My pool builder said nights, but the guy they sent to teach us to use the equipment said days.

Thanks again.

Just for circulation and cleaning purposes, could I run the pump 11 hours per day at 1000 RPM to filter the entire pool?
Yes but you may find the skimmers don't work as well at that speed. Try it out and see how well the pool stays clean.

As for time of day, if you have solar, like me, or you don't use a pool cover, then daytime is probably the best. If you have a solar cover, FC burn off will be much slower so you could probably get away with a nighttime run. But then it would be a good idea to run the pump while people are swimming as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.