Ascorbic Acid question

Jul 17, 2011
Canton, MI
I'm planning on doing the ascorbic acid treatment to remove some iron stains, before I close my pool in September. I live in michigan so the water that is left in the pool over the winter will freeze. The water will be drained below anything in the pool that contains metal (screws, skimmer opening, return opening, etc.) Is it possible for the iron stains to re-form over the winter when the pool is covered, and be visible next spring when I open the pool?

Re: Absorbic Acid question

Yes, it is possible, though not likely. Stains tend to form when the PH gets too high. That happens to a few people over the winter, but is rare, and can't happen when the pool is completely frozen.

Re: Absorbic Acid question

Thanks. Any Idea how long the stain removal process takes from start to finish? Just trying to figure out when I should start. Also, is it better to do it now when it's warmer, or should I wait until sept. when it's a little cooler? I'm a little hesitant to do it now because there's not much swim season left here, and I know the process might take a while. I'm also concerned about lowering the FC to near zero when it's 85 degrees.

From my experience it depends on how dark the stain is. I have had minimal staining disappear over night and not so minimal staining take almost 48 hours. Either way, it really works well. I have a 25000gal pool. I have done the absorbic acid process without lowering FC. I was told that the reason for lowering FC was that it burned up most the product before it would work thoroughly. It actually worked well and I used half the amount. I found the Stain Free granular brand of absorbic acid thru Amazon for half the price - Also other products like metal out. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.