The importance of a good test kit

Technigogo

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
I used to be blind but now I see!

I received my TF-100 Test kit last week and began doing my own testing with my new Speed Stir. What I found was that the pool stores are worse than I thought. I began paying close attention to how they run the tests on the day I ordered my kit. I noticed that they use the most basic tests for chlorine and for CYA. What I found was that they were dead wrong most of the time.

I took water samples to two different pool stores within minutes of each other (both samples were taken from the pool at the same time). You can see how wide they vary. They both wanted to sell me chemicals. One wanted to sell me a big bottle of Copper Algaecide!

Here are my test numbers after getting my TF-100 test kit:

FC: 8.0
TA: 90
CH: 250
CYA: 50
[attachment=0:1n4atbt1]WarehousePool.pdf[/attachment:1n4atbt1]
[attachment=1:1n4atbt1]Leslies.pdf[/attachment:1n4atbt1]

Attachments

• Leslies.pdf
    315 KB · Views: 23
  • WarehousePool.pdf
    284.6 KB · Views: 33
I agree. I can understand them not doing a drop test on every test for chlorine but you would think they would have it in a drawer to use when needed or asked.

Notice the difference in Alkalinity at both places. Warehouse Pool Supply had it at 105. Leslie's had it at 60. Leslie's tried to sell me some "Alkalinity Up".

So, now I really see the problem with trusting the pool stores. You are constantly dumping some Crud into your pool. It's like a roller coaster for your water balance. The light went off when I questioned my logic of trusting them completely. I don't think they are dishonest; just inexperienced and mono-trained. Just judging by their age, I doubt they have a pool of their own to care for on a daily basis. When I was their age, I lived in an apartment.

Bama Rambler said:
That's a good comparison. It still amazes me why a pool store that does so called 'professional water testing' doesn't have a test that will test greater than 5 ppm FC.
The Leslie's here claims it's because with >5 ppm FC, you can't test anything at all so your level should never ever be that high; if it's too high for that test to read then you must add a lot of chlorine remover immediately. In fact they told me last year that I couldn't possibly have algae since I had that chlorine level, and I should turn off the chlorinator completely and add chlorine remover. It was soon after seeing how much worse this made things that I ended up here. :lol:

I just ordered a TFT test kit with speed stir this morning. Can't wait to get it in. I went to Leslie's last week for a test and was unimpressed by them. This is my first pool and I've read through the pool school 2 times now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.