Just started conversion last night (complete 2011, so happy)

Re: Just started conversion last night

I've got a stupid "newbee" question here........

Wouldn't it help to add CYA to the pool either at the start of the swap, or at least the middle point of it?? I would think that the quicker this is added, the faster the process would go? I would also think that even during the day, the more chlorine you add to the pool the quicker it would clean up? Even if you do lose a good amount to the sun? Just wondering, as I also plan on starting the swap on Monday....

Leebo said:

Wouldn't it help to add CYA to the pool either at the start of the swap, or at least the middle point of it?? I would think that the quicker this is added, the faster the process would go? I would also think that even during the day, the more chlorine you add to the pool the quicker it would clean up? Even if you do lose a good amount to the sun? Just wondering, as I also plan on starting the swap on Monday....

I wondered the same thing.
Rick

7. When you lose 1 ppm of chlorine, or less, overnight it is time to clean out your filter and change the media. Once the filter is cleaned up, add enough CYA to reach 30 ppm. Continue to maintain FC at 15 ppm.

The directions are pretty explicit about when to add the CYA. Not sure why.
Rick

Rick Lohr said:
Leebo said:

Rick
I have no direct experience (for which I am thankful), but I will theorize here a bit :sleep: ... I am basing this argument on an assumption I have: unlike fighting algae, baqua conversion does not stall or reverse when you drop to low FC levels. Having unstabililzed chlorine available for the consumption in the baqau conversion is required. I wonder if the consumption of FC by the conversion basically swamps out the effects of sun (uv), i.e. the baqua consumes the FC somewhat faster than ultraviolet light destroys it? If that is true, then having more unstabilized Chlorine in the pool is most important since the Baqua conversion is eating it fast, and will need to be replaced faster than the sun can remove it. So keeping up the level all day long makes sense and will finish the job the fastest way. However, fast and efficient (cheap) may not be the same...Duraleigh may have been alluding to this when he suggested dosing high at night, since then you would be spending all of you chlorine on the baqua conversion and very little/none wasted due to uv. So it might come down to, do you want fast or cheap, and how often can you test/redose the pool. Keep in mind, going too high on FC can damage liner, etc...so superchlorination (this term is really ambiguous) is probably not a good idea.

Just thinking out loud...though I probably shouldn't :hammer:

frogabog said:
Why are you not maintaining 15ppm during the day? Intermittent chlorine additions stall this process, you are not done converting at all. 2ppm CC tells you that you have a ways to go yet. Ignore the pool store lady in this regard, your test result is the only one you can count on. Your water did not go from 2ppm CC to 0ppm CC on the way to the store either.

The roller coaster of shock level to near zero chlorine you're working here isn't very effective, in fact it's probably hindering you.

Tablets are good for vacations if your CYA level isn't too high in the first place. Once you add CYA make sure you have room for any that tablets will add when used.
Oh, and probably the most pertinent data point I haven't mentioned, I'm at work during those sunny hours.
I really appreciate you input though! :goodjob:
Rick

linen said:
Rick Lohr said:
Leebo said:

Rick
I have no direct experience (for which I am thankful), but I will theorize here a bit :sleep: ... I am basing this argument on an assumption I have: unlike fighting algae, baqua conversion does not stall or reverse when you drop to low FC levels. Having unstabililzed chlorine available for the consumption in the baqau conversion is required. I wonder if the consumption of FC by the conversion basically swamps out the effects of sun (uv), i.e. the baqua consumes the FC somewhat faster than ultraviolet light destroys it? If that is true, then having more unstabilized Chlorine in the pool is most important since the Baqua conversion is eating it fast, and will need to be replaced faster than the sun can remove it. So keeping up the level all day long makes sense and will finish the job the fastest way. However, fast and efficient (cheap) may not be the same...Duraleigh may have been alluding to this when he suggested dosing high at night, since then you would be spending all of you chlorine on the baqua conversion and very little/none wasted due to uv. So it might come down to, do you want fast or cheap, and how often can you test/redose the pool. Keep in mind, going too high on FC can damage liner, etc...so superchlorination (this term is really ambiguous) is probably not a good idea.

Just thinking out loud...though I probably shouldn't :hammer:
I'll let the experts field this one! I have to go buy more bleach.
Rick

Sounds good to Rick and I.....as I've gotta buy about 15 cases of bleach as well. :)

T-minus 26 hours remaining for baquicil in our pool. 18 Years is enough.....get the heck out!

Leebo said:
Sounds good to Rick and I.....as I've gotta buy about 15 cases of bleach as well. :)

T-minus 26 hours remaining for baquicil in our pool. 18 Years is enough.....get the heck out!

Pepsiholic said about 50 jugs of 6%. I think I will be close to that by the time I am done as well. I just bought 8 more jugs.

Rick

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Leebo said:

Please post a link here when you start your thread so I don't miss it. Good luck. With all the knowledge you have from here there should be no surprises. I started mine with high levels of both Baquacil and BaquaShock as well as an in progress Algae bloom and it has still gone well. I would have preferred to have delayed it to the beginning of next season when I first opened the pool in the spring, but the algae gave me no choice.

Rick

Rick Lohr said:
I started mine with high levels of both Baquacil and BaquaShock as well as an in progress Algae bloom and it has still gone well.
Starting a Baqua conversion with algae kind of blows up my theory. I would think that would drive the need for keeping FC high 24/7...

Rick Lohr said:
I would have preferred to have delayed it to the beginning of next season when I first opened the pool in the spring, but the algae gave me no choice.
Sometimes you just have to "tear the band-aid off", though it stinks not being able to swim. Once you have a tfp, I am betting you won't believe you used to swim in that stuff.

Edit: fixed quotes

wow....all these quotes are starting to get me mixed up. :D LOL

I was going to try and wait till next year, but after we ran out of shock and very low on sanitizer this year, it made more since money wise to swap now rather than dump more money into Baqua this year only to swap it out next spring. They money we'd spend on the switch will be about the same as if we were to have to buy more Baqua this year.

Here's a link to my swap. Thanks for allowing me to chime in on your thread, as it looks like a few of the questions we both had were the same. :D
after-18-years-of-baqua-t36454.html

Day 11:
I think my FC held overnight. I'm not entirely sure since I didn't measure it after the last dose. The chlorox seems to drive it a bit higher than the calculations predict.

FC 15
CC 1.5

I am back to work today so we'll see how it holds through the day. It is a rainy day.

Rick

Leebo said:
wow....all these quotes are starting to get me mixed up. :D LOL

I was going to try and wait till next year, but after we ran out of shock and very low on sanitizer this year, it made more since money wise to swap now rather than dump more money into Baqua this year only to swap it out next spring. They money we'd spend on the switch will be about the same as if we were to have to buy more Baqua this year.

Here's a link to my swap. Thanks for allowing me to chime in on your thread, as it looks like a few of the questions we both had were the same. :D
after-18-years-of-baqua-t36454.html
I found it as well. Today is the day. Looking forward to your pictures and to see your progress. Good luck!
Rick

frogabog said:
If the dosing is consistently off, maybe look at re-calculating pool volume.

Thanks, that was my thought too so I measured my water height to be 45". It still ends up being a little higher than I expect. I can't say exactly how much since I never measure a short period after dosing it. Its close enough.

Rick

My pool just set there covered and unused due to weather and life for about three weeks. I can't believe that I uncovered it after all that time and it was crystal clear. I had a bunch of leaves to clear out from Huricane Irene, but the water was perfect. I could have NEVER done that with Baquacil. I would of had a slippery dirty bottom at a minimum and most likely algae. I love chlorine!
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.