One Man, One Pool and One Deck - AGP Pics

Added some pics from the solar panel project this year - 2 summers and I'm finally finished everything, this project wasn't all that complicated but the plumbing was a lot more work than I had anticipated, next year = nothing!!

I got 2 4'X20' Fafco Sunsavers, these are sold as in ground pool heaters and are rated for freezing so long as the water is completely removed, not sure if I'm gonna leave up for the winter - I don't want to remove but I don't want to wreck them either.

I put several valves in so I can isolate everything, I also went with a dedicated return line into the pool and did not tie back into the main return, after some discussion on a previous thread I've paid careful attention the past few weeks to the throttling level and I'm running about 90% of the flow diverted to the panels.
The farthest point of the run is about 40' of 1.5" pipe, all the pipe/fitting was ordered at FlexPVC.com - great site, my pump seems to have no problems.
I also added the side run below the skimmer so I can hook up a line to drain the pool this fall, I'll use the stock pump fitting and hose for that, other than that the run is capped and turned off.

This system has definitely added heat to the pool, we had a great summer with a lot of clear skies and hot temps, last year was a struggle to reach 80 degrees and this year we were well on our way to 90 degrees several times and I turned them off.

I recommend the Fafco true 4' panels, they are pretty solid panels.

Also added the sprinkler, it adds some fun as well. Oh, and the Margaritaville Fiji was on major sale this summer, got it for around 50% off and our family loves it, were cranking fruit drinks out like crazy - it's an awesome machine.

I joined this forum just to tell you how awesome your pool pictures are. Thank you for sharing them. it is definitely inspirational. The wife bought a used pool without asking me (I would have said no) but now that it is setup and the kids are enjoying it, i am having fun with it too. I didn't know how much tinkering time i could get out of this! I might try your solar panel ideas, pretty cool stuff. Thanks

Thanks!!

I'm really happy with the panels, it was more work than I anticiapted but it wasn't hard, just more than planned.
This summer has been terrible for heat but the solar panels are making a huge difference, our neighbours without panels are running about 70-71 degrees and aren't even swimming, were hovering somewhere around 78-79 which is much better.

I agree with your assessment on pools, I wasn't a big fan either until our daugther came along, now we all love it!!

I joined this site just for this. We bought an 18' x 48' pool a few days ago and I didn't put much thought into it, just said wow a huge one day deal for $150. When we bought our house we specifically chose homes without pools and away from water because our kids were babies. Now we wish we had a pool and just chose to build a huge gate, lol.

I had no idea so much work goes into putting the pool together because other forums say it just takes two DIY types and 40 minutes. I did not know grass had to be removed. I wish you could install mine! I should've came to this site first! At least I could've prepared emotionally for the work that needs to be done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.