Cost of SWG for IGP

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
I am in the process of finalizing configuration of my 18x36 mountain pond vinyl IGP (26k gallons). In regards to SWG, I have three quotes, of which they are in the $2300 range for the Hayward SWG system, installation with new pool and 700lbs of salt. I am hearing from some that this may be very high. If any have comparisions for me for the hayward system, please let me know.

Appreciate the help!

Ted

The 40K AquaRite goes for around $900 in the Internet. Install should run $200 - $500. 700 lbs of salt is about $90. Adding another couple hundred profit on that is reasonable enough. Total price installed should be $1200 to $1700, sometimes lower when done at the same time as a lot of other work.

If you want to save $1,000 consider a DIY.

Our local pool store also wanted over $2,000 for a SWG install. I purchased a better SWG on the Internet and I hired my handyman to help me. We had to move valves and eliminate an old chlorinator. Total install time was around 4 hours. A new install would have been faster.

Downside is that you have to learn about a SWG installation and the operation of your SWG.

Upside is that you will know that the SWG was installed correctly. When we purchased our house I was appalled at the electrical work done by the pool store. Electrical wires were laying on the floor not in conduit. Many if not most pool stores do not use electricians for their electrical work and their work may not be to code.

I paid $1350 for my Pentair IC40 installed. I did the salt addition myself and used 16 bags of salt at $7.07 ea.

The equipment is easy for them to install, not sure why they would quote so high. I had a skimmer replace, a pump, filter, and SWG installed in 4 hours. They had to cut concrete for the skimmer replacement too.

If you are fairly handy you should be able to wire the system to the pump relay and save on the electrical work. I did it myself and it was very simple and the conduit/wires cost $15 or so. Because I have no experience working with PVC I paid a plumber $100 to connect the cell (it took him about 15 minutes), and I bought the Aqua-Rite unit on the internet for $849 ($500 for the power unit and $349 for the T-9 cell). Of course, the larger cell is more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.