Cost of replacing liner in an 18 x 36 IG

Voldaddy

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2007
Hey all, we have an 18 x 36 IG pool with a vinyl liner. Last winter when the pool was closed, to the time it was opened in the spring, it lost A LOT of water. My PG said I could have sucked water from the pool through the cover with my pump while pumping rain water off. Well, this year, I only pumped it twice thans to the Georgia drought, and made sure to cut the pump off as soon as the surface water was gone. It has dropped WAY down again. PG said my liner is around 9 years old, and probably needs replaced. He said it will run me around $2,200 for liner, face plates, gaskets, seals, etc...I've never had to replace a liner before and was wondering if this sounds about right. Thanks in advance!

Voldaddy,

Welcome! Where you been? I remember your very succesful conversion from baquagoo on the old PF.

That liner install doesn't seem too far out of the question. If you got several buddies in need of some beer, you COULD install it yourself but The first time around you might be better off watching someone who does it for a living.

In 2000 I paid $2150 plus tax for a 20 X 40 with stairs at one end liner installed. They also did alittle work on the bottom and new foam sheets on the sides. Had two 8000 gal truck loads of water for $300 each to set the liner in the deep end and was high enough in the shallow end to work out the wrinkles while they(the pool workers) were still there that day. They started at 8AM and the last of the water from the tanker went in at 8PM. I then finished with the garden hose about 3 hours that night and waited until the pool workers came back to check the liner before I filled the pool.

The pool workers came back in the morning to check things out; but the liner was setting great.

In MHO, hire a pool company to do it. They have the manpower, equiptment and there are little "tricks of the trade" to make things go faster and better. Plus the guarantee. Make sure you ask and understand their guarantee.

Voldaddy,

Welcome to TFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The $ you gave sounds very reasonable. However, watch out for hidden charges (little things like treating rusted panels and patching the floor in a few areas - you can quickly double the price with work like that - if it needs to be done, just make sure that they don't overcharge you for the work) Hotrod said it well in that having the 'pros' do it will probably get the best result - however, if you think you may want to give it a shot yourself, I'll do my best to talk you through it (and my best is pretty darned good :wink: )

Again, welcome over here :!:

ps. - you DO know that it was the waterproof cellphone that caused the liner to weaken, right? :wink: :p

BTW- Dave, I "watch guys who do it [install liners] for a living" every day I work - sometimes I even help drop a liner :joker: :cheers:

duraleigh said:
Voldaddy,

Welcome! Where you been? I remember your very succesful conversion from baquagoo on the old PF.

That liner install doesn't seem too far out of the question. If you got several buddies in need of some beer, you COULD install it yourself but The first time around you might be better off watching someone who does it for a living.

Hey Dave, been hanging around. I have no desire to install this monster. I will take the day off from work when they do it to watch them. Still on the bleach and couldn't be happier! I will be lurking around. Is the other site we used to frequent still going?

BTW- your advice on being better off watching someone who does it for a living is exactly how I feel about aerobics...

waste said:
Voldaddy,

Welcome to TFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The $ you gave sounds very reasonable. However, watch out for hidden charges (little things like treating rusted panels and patching the floor in a few areas - you can quickly double the price with work like that - if it needs to be done, just make sure that they don't overcharge you for the work) Hotrod said it well in that having the 'pros' do it will probably get the best result - however, if you think you may want to give it a shot yourself, I'll do my best to talk you through it (and my best is pretty darned good :wink: )

Again, welcome over here :!:

ps. - you DO know that it was the waterproof cellphone that caused the liner to weaken, right? :wink: :p

BTW- Dave, I "watch guys who do it [install liners] for a living" every day I work - sometimes I even help drop a liner :joker: :cheers:

LOL! You guys have great memories, and the old waterproof phone is still alive and kicking! 8)

The "hidden charges" are what I'm worried about. PG said this price includes SOME bottom work. Does the coping usually get replaced with the liner, or will that be one of my "extras" that I'll get hit with?

I really appreciate the offer of help on replacing the liner, but I will let them do it. I will take a raincheck on the help though, as I will surely take you up on it this summer!

Is the other site we used to frequent still going?
Well, yes and no...mostly no. Ben went South with a little bit of folks' money and hasn't been heard from since. The mods over there are hanging on but it's really like beating a dead horse.

Hey, Ted, I had forgotten the waterproof phone! That was very, very funny.

duraleigh said:
Is the other site we used to frequent still going?
Well, yes and no...mostly no. Ben went South with a little bit of folks' money and hasn't been heard from since. The mods over there are hanging on but it's really like beating a dead horse.

Hey, Ted, I had forgotten the waterproof phone! That was very, very funny.

Not to get off subject but since the question was asked....Ben(or whomever he really is) ripped off waaaaay more people than post since registration has been locked and many who got scammed have no way of letting others know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
waste said:
Just to let you know, the coping is one of those extra$. And, just to clarify, I meant to watch the time and materials used so you don't get over-billed on the fix'n :)

Thanks Waste. How much extra does coping usually run? Good thing I'm getting "free" money in June from the government!

The coping shouldn't be too expensive (sorry, no hard #s) However, the deck may have to be removed to change it and that could quickly make the project $$$.

Is the coping trashed and in need of replacement? If it's simply looking a little worn (but otherwise in good shape) you can paint aluminum coping with rustolium spray paint, if this is something you think you may want to do let me know and I'll give you a couple of tips for doing it (#1 is do it while the old liner is still in)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.