Newbee Needs Pump Help Fast

Aug 4, 2011
Hi, I am new here.

I recently bought a house with a pool and i am having pump issues. Barely know anything about pools so bare with me. Here is my general setup:

-In ground pool in Florida 14,000 gallons

-One main pump (that's what I call it) and the sticker in the side says 1.5 HP

-One secondary pump that appears to control the self pool cleaner. The label is faded but it looks like it is the same size as the main pump. Both motors are on separate timers.

-Sand filter and salt chlorine generator

Problems:

The main motor has been starting and stopping when it is supposed to be on. Nothing is tripping, it just comes on and off by itself in 10 to 30 minute cycles. It looks old and it is loud when it runs.

The secondary pump is quite loud when it is on.

You can click on the link below for photos. They are pretty clear.

http://tylerreese.smugmug.com/Other/Pool/18378191_wRbh6S#1416264594_w7pSGpv

I assume I need to change both motors? Any thoughts? Can I just buy one more powerful unit instead of having two? What pumps do you recommend? I don't mind spending extra if it will save on electricity. Please help!

Jason

The timer it is connected to could be bad. Does the pump seem to be overheated when it cuts off? The noise is likely due to the age of the pumps. Unless the noise on the booster pump is bothersome, I would keep the pump and save for a replacement. You could run an auto cleaner off the main pump, but that would also involve re-routing some plumbing. In my opinion, you would be better off replacing the main pump with a 1 hp 2 speed pump, if it turns out you need a new pump. For everyday filtering you run it at low speed and for vacuuming use high speed. Low speed will save energy costs and run more quietly.

zea3 said:
The timer it is connected to could be bad. Does the pump seem to be overheated when it cuts off? The noise is likely due to the age of the pumps. Unless the noise on the booster pump is bothersome, I would keep the pump and save for a replacement. You could run an auto cleaner off the main pump, but that would also involve re-routing some plumbing. In my opinion, you would be better off replacing the main pump with a 1 hp 2 speed pump, if it turns out you need a new pump. For everyday filtering you run it at low speed and for vacuuming use high speed. Low speed will save energy costs and run more quietly.

I think the main pump is overheating because is gets super hot. It that the motor or the timer?

Dalandlord said:
The booster pump for the auto cleaner is usually a 3/4 HP and it should only be on while the main pump is running.

The auto cleaner doesn't rally work any way so I have it taken out right now.

Just reinforcing what Zea said. You could probably just replace the motor on the pump you have with a 2-speed motor or just replace the pump with a 1 hp 2-speed pump. That would be plenty big for your pool. I'd leave the booster pump alone until it had to be replaced and then decide if you want to stick with a pressure side cleaner or convert to a suction side and get rid of the booster all together.

slambrecht said:
So is the overheating the motor of the timer? The pump is 1.5 HP This may be a stupid question but should i get a 1.5 HP two speed pump?

Thanks for everyone's help.
No, the motor is malfunctioning and causing the overheating. The timer is not part of the motor. You can buy any size pump you want, but you don't need a 1.5 hp. A 1 hp 2 speed will save you some energy costs and still have plenty of power for your pool. Slower moving water will filter more efficiently, so we tend to advocate slower pumps and bigger filters.

As Zea said, you're replacing the whole pump you should go with a smaller unit. However, if you just replace the motor you'll either need to match the SFHP (service factor x horse power) of the new motor with the old motor or you'll have to change the impeller to match the SFHP of the motor you get.

slambrecht said:
Hi, I am new here.

I recently bought a house with a pool and i am having pump issues. Barely know anything about pools so bare with me. Here is my general setup:

-In ground pool in Florida 14,000 gallons

-One main pump (that's what I call it) and the sticker in the side says 1.5 HP

-One secondary pump that appears to control the self pool cleaner. The label is faded but it looks like it is the same size as the main pump. Both motors are on separate timers.

-Sand filter and salt chlorine generator

Problems:

The main motor has been starting and stopping when it is supposed to be on. Nothing is tripping, it just comes on and off by itself in 10 to 30 minute cycles. It looks old and it is loud when it runs.

The secondary pump is quite loud when it is on.

You can click on the link below for photos. They are pretty clear.

http://tylerreese.smugmug.com/Other/Pool/18378191_wRbh6S#1416264594_w7pSGpv

I assume I need to change both motors? Any thoughts? Can I just buy one more powerful unit instead of having two? What pumps do you recommend? I don't mind spending extra if it will save on electricity. Please help!

Jason

Like the others have said it looks like you have a motor replacement. My question is; you stated that you just purchased this home, was there an American Home Shield policy or some other type of policy purchased that covers the appliances? Normally the pool equipment is covered too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 1.5 HP "self-priming" pump and it looks like it is in good condition. Does it make sense to buy a whole new smaller pump to save on electricity? Does anybody have a pump brand and model they recommend?

You need a new motor at the least. If you can find a 2 speed 1.5 HP motor, that would be your easiest replacement if you want 2 speeds (putting a replacement single speed 1.5 HP would be the cheapest motor to get). If you keep the same wet end and get the 1 HP 2 speed - you will need to replace the impeller as well, at least. At this point - it might make more sense to get a total replacement new 1 HP 2 speed pump if you really want that configuration.

Another option would be to put a 2HP motor (2 speed) on your current wet end. Not the "most efficient", but at least it would work.

So - your options -

1. replace the 1.5 HP motor with a single speed 1.5 HP
2. replace motor with 1.5 HP or 2 HP 2 speed motor
3. replace whole pump with 1 HP 2 speed model.

My main pump is now dead. I think I am going to replace it with a Intelliflo by Pentair. I don't want to use the booster pump i have because my vacuum was not doing anything. Can I hook up the Intelliflo and leave the booster pump where it is and not turn it on? I have a salt generator too. Photos are in my first post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.