Latest test results - do these numbers look ok?

Is your pool a Intex easy set pool? If it is, you are over estimating your pool volume. Intex has is at 1779 gallons. Using that volume I get 31 ounces of bleach, to go from 1.5 to 10 ppm FC with a 70 ppm CYA level.

Okay, glad you have the right volume. From poolcalculator I get 37 ounces of 6% bleach to go from 1.5 to 10 ppm (why would you want to go to 4). Let us know if you are having trouble with the calculator.

linen said:
Is your pool a Intex easy set pool? If it is, you are over estimating your pool volume. Intex has is at 1779 gallons. Using that volume I get 31 ounces of bleach, to go from 1.5 to 10 ppm FC with a 70 ppm CYA level.

I don't think I understand how to read the Chlorine/CYA chart. Could someone give this dummy a quick lesson please?

You can just use the levels suggested in the poolcalculator (the values are fairly close to the chart). To use the chart, use the non-swg chart, go down to the row 70 for your CYA then across will show you 5,8,and 28.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The "Suggested FC Levels" will appear (in blue) near the bottom of the PoolCalculator.

You must first enter your pool volume (gallons) and the current CYA (70) in the calculator.

Try it and if you have problems, post back and ask questions. Someone will be around to help.

In the interim, go add about 37ozs bleach to your pool! :)

JulieLeo said:
How did you come up with bringing the FC up to 10ppm?
For 70 CYA, the normal FC range in the PoolCalculator is 5 to 10ppm.

You do not have to go to 10, you could shoot for 8 and see how your FC holds.
However, since you are below your minimum of 5, I also suggest you raise FC to 10 for now.

Absolutely raise it to the maximum for your CYA which is 10ppm. Falling below minimum can cause great havoc on your pool. And plan to make sure it's at 10ppm every night before you begin the next day. You're going to loose about half of your chlorine every day, and want to remain at or above your minimum of 5 at day's end. As such 10ppm is necessary for a full day of swimming and sun.

If 10 ppm seems too high, you can do a partial drain to lower CYA to around 40ppm where you'll then need to make sure you raise it to 7ppm at night and never fall below 3ppm. Same ratio, but lower chlorine use/day. If you're in a very hot climate, 50ppm CYA might be appropriate for you.

Adjust the calculator's now column for CYA, you will see different values change in the pink chlorine section at the bottom. The numbers that show there after you enter different CYA values tell you what to put into the target column for dosing calculations.

JulieLeo said:
Thanks for the great advise. Now I'm a bit worried because I'm going out of town for the weekend and I'm the only one who maintains the pool.
I'd raise it to shock level, circulate for at least an hour, then shut it down.

I don't think you'll have a problem. Have a good weekend. :)

I'd start monitoring the reaction of your numbers in relation to what the pool calc says it should. My pool manual said 9500 gallons and I'm actually closer to 7600. No fancy math, I just used the pool calc and played around until the pool was acting as the pool calc said it should.

I just wanted to clarify that Butterfly said to raise it to shock level (28ppm) and then shut it down for the weekend. Not 10ppm, that's your daily high level.

"Shut it down", I took as meaning turn your pump off and let it sit over the weekend. AFTER letting the chlorine mix for an hour or so of course.

The black dot should totally disappear. 70 is probably a better number to use for now. You don't want to undershoot your target levels and be away from the pool at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.