Intex 2500 pump squealing......

Aug 4, 2011
Our First Post...!!

Hello all,

We've had above ground pools for many years. Started with Intex blowups and then 'graduated' to the metal frames. This is our second year with a 16x48. Last year we had the 'standard' (1100GPH) pump and added the SWG set up. (I don't know about BBB, but the SWG is producing some of the sweetest water you could imagine...!)

Well, this year we noticed the original pump getting sluggish and decided to get the 2500GPH, with the B Adapters, because our in/outtake tubes are the 1.25 and not 1.5 inch size.

Everything hooked up fine, even the new plungers (what a great feature). Here's the problem:
Within about three minutes after turning the pump on, the plunger at the intake starts squealing like a banshee. It is fully open and 'locked' (as is the return plunger). I can only imagine we're taking in air, but I can't find it.... (There is air in the 'filter' when I loosen the release.)

Any ideas...? Is this pump too strong for the 1.25 openings...? I haven't hooked up the skimmer yet because the noise is obnoxious..... :?

THANKS...!!!

I just wanted to tell you that I remember seeing on Amazon awhile back about people having issues like yours with these adapters. One person stated that the black ring(?) was loose and was sucking in air. They said that they took some sort of glue and made an airtight seal on this and it stopped the problem. Without having these, this was the best advice I could offer. Hope it helps lead you to a solution! :)

THANKS Coastal Carolina....! That link expresses the problem exactly...!!

But I can't tell if his solution was to cut the pool (in addition to cutting off the 'tubes'), as Steve suggests, or if he did something else. And the link was from three years ago, I can't find an 'eganov' in WI.... At least it was great to have someone to 'relate' to...!!

I'll also take this to Intex to see what their solution may be. I just can't see myself taking a knife to the pool............

Thanks again...!

Yea, i upgraded from a little 1000gph Intex pump to the 2150 sand filter and was debating using the connectors or cutting.

I decided on cutting, best way to go about it is use the bowl after you pull out the old fitting so that you lose little water. and then use the rubber gasket that came on the new fittings as an outline to make the cut, I used an extremely sharp exacto knife - the sharper the better. You need to take your time and be careful when doing it. It is a lot easier if you have two people to do it, one to make the cut and one to hold the bowl.

If you look at where the connectors go inside the vinyl liner there is some of the thick black plastic that goes about 3-4 inches into the liner which makes it so much stronger and tear resistant when cutting it.

OsiViper said:
If you look at where the connectors go inside the vinyl liner there is some of the thick black plastic that goes about 3-4 inches into the liner which makes it so much stronger and tear resistant when cutting it.

Thanks Osi,

But it looks like we only have about a half inch, not 3-4 inches. I'm a bit leary to try it with such a small 'clearance'.......

Peeps have cut large rectangle holes in these liners with no problems (for a through the wall skimmer, nowhere near the reinforced pump/filter pump ports).

Look at all the intex modification threads, cutting a holes requires a bowl to hold the water out (a helper), and a hole that is not smaller than the fitting. Too small holes leak, don't under cut it. Get a nice sharp exacto knife.

I can't comment on how easy it is, but I plan to do this exact thing tomorrow sometime. I plan for it to work just like everyone says. Shall we compare notes? :~}

yea, I was the same way when I did it. After watching videos of peoples liners that split open because there was a cut or something and then I was told I should go cut a hole in the liner I was really nervous.

But I was surprised, it was so much easier than I had expected it to be. It's true what froga says, don't make the hole too small because it can cause a leak. That is why i used the rubber gasket from the large fittings as a measurement.

Only thing is just make sure the person who is holding the bowl doesnt put extreme pressure on it to cause it to rip.

But honestly it is really easy to do and is extremely nice to have one less thing to worry about coming apart or leaking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I chickened out..... :lol: Just couldn't pick up the knife...!!

I kept looking following Carolina's post and found a link that said to try 1" PVC pipe. Since I had some around the house I decided to give that a shot and it worked like a charm. I cut a 2 1/4 inch long piece and pushed it in from the back (where it connects to the plunger) letting it stick out about 3/8 inch. All is good...!
Only had to do this on the 'intake' side. But I still can't use the nifty directional output attachment..... :cry:

THANKS ALL for your timely input...!! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.