Jandy PDA motherboard died, want to change to RS232. Advice?

hamw

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2011
Had a failure of my Jandy PDA mother board for my pool. It has Pure Link Standard Power Center with salt water chlorinator, a couple of relays for valves, pump (single pump operating both pool and spa), breaker panel and heater control. I have a home warranty (AHS; have read about them on the board both good and bad) and am hopeful they'll let me put in what I want, not just replace the board directly.

I've been wanting to add the pool to my home automation system, and I'm thinking this is my opportunity to go RS232. However, it looks like to do so I need a wired controller (not sure) as well as the RS232 mother board and the RS232 control module. Assuming I get the mother board replaced under warranty, what would be the best route parts-wise? What is typical Jandy pricing and are there alternative sources? Also, would anyone recommend going with different pool control unit, e.g. Pentair?

Thanks!

Re: Jandy PDA motherboard died, want to change to RS232. Adv

AHS may let you but you would have to pay the difference.

As for talking to a home automation system, it depends on the home automation. I know some have been successful with Pentair and Crestron systems. Not perfect but...

Since Pentair came out with Screen Logic over wireless, it kind of became moot. The new iPhone app has had a lot of functionality added the old didn't have.

Scott

Re: Jandy PDA motherboard died, want to change to RS232. Adv

Could you list the components needed for a Pentair solution and rough pricing? Looks like I'd have to swap the enclosure as well?

The Jandy is RS232 addressable. This would work with my existing HA system which has an iPhone interface. Also I already have the chlorine generator and main enclosure wired up, so this might still be a first choice if I can get some ideas as to what needs to be done and pricing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.