New cell replaced

Thanks Sean

It still seems like I'm abusing my cell. I am running the pump 12 hours now at level 2 @ 31% and it is keeping a steady 2.5 - 3.0 FC. When my original cell was new I was on level 1 below 50% for the first 3 years (i keep good records). It's still 100+ with sunny skys EVERY FR%$&N DAY and no rain. I have to add about .5 to 1" of water every other day. I guess my concern is....does being on level 1, 2 or 3 determine the life of the cell? Am I using it up faster starting out on level 2?

Donnie

numbers this morning: after a couple of adjustments yesterday

85F
SC-36 on level 2 @ 31% with 12 hour runtime (9:00am to 9:00pm) 19V 6.5A
7.5 Ph (added 9oz MA @ 9:00 pm)
FC 4.5 (added 48oz Cl @ 9:00 pm)
CC 0
CYA 95ish
CH 300 adjusted last Saturday
TA 160 (a little high) adjusted last saturday
Salt 3500 adjusted last saturday
SI .3

I recently replaced a cell on my Jandy 1400 unit. My old cell was working but the flow/temp/salt sensor was bad so I replaced the whole enchilada. At first, it did not seem like my new cell was putting out as much chlorine as my old cell did (when it worked, it worked well). After about a week of running the new cell at the same settings as the old cell, the FC seemed low at just about 3 ppm. So I dumped in a gallon of 12% chlorine to give it a boost, and ever since then, about a month, my FC has held steady at 4-5 ppm, similiar to my old cell did.

My cya is at about 75, pool temp 80, ph 7.5, ta=70, ch=400

Maybe a little boost of liquid chlorine will stabilize your pool, it seemed to on mine.

Higher power levels at the same run time uses up the life of the cell more quickly.

I suspect you have a low level algae problem, enough algae to use up chlorine, but not enough to show up visually.

So...what should I do? I have never "shocked" the pool since I've had it.

JasonLion said:
Higher power levels at the same run time uses up the life of the cell more quickly.

I suspect you have a low level algae problem, enough algae to use up chlorine, but not enough to show up visually.

The first thing to do is shut the swcg down and run an OCLT to make sure you are losing FC at night. Once that's done you'll know if you need to shock. If you do there's an article in Pool School on how to do it correctly. And we're here to help too. :)

Bama Rambler said:
The first thing to do is shut the swcg down and run an OCLT to make sure you are losing FC at night. Once that's done you'll know if you need to shock. If you do there's an article in Pool School on how to do it correctly. And we're here to help too. :)

I will do the OCL test tonight. Thanks.

Donnie

Fell asleep early Sunday so missed the OCL test but did do it last night. 9:00 PM 4.5FC 85F/ 6:00AM 3.0FC 81F. I guess something is eating my chlorine but my water is beautiful. I added bleach to bring FC to 18 and set the pump to run 24 hr days. Any other advice?

Donnie

With a CYA of 75 your shock level is about 30 ppm FC not 18. You need to get it there, or you're not shocking, you're just tickling whatever is in there!

Once you get it there, check and adjust the FC as often as once an hour or as often as you can. Keep it up and it shouldn't take too long to be done with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
my CYA is 85ish. I have the swg running also and plan on checking it when I get home. I figured that a 1.5 gallon would push it to 18 + the 3 thats in there and was waiting to see where the swg raises it. Im still confused by the lack of CC's when testing.

I have one small dime sized yellow spot on the pool floor. I've scrubbed and scrubbed and it wont budge (hand brushed in pool). I don't think its algae. I have maintained shock at 24 - 32 for the past 48hours ( I cant be there all day). Plan on keeping it there and will run another OFCL test Friday night. Can one piece of algae be that tough or could it just be a stain. Thats the only sign I have of "algae" as the pool is perfectly clear although my last OFCL test showed that something was eating my FC. My only issue that led me to shock was my new SWG cell has to be on level 2 at 30% to maintain 3 - 4 FC levels. It has been 100 degrees+ for weeks and water temps 84-94.

Donnie

Bama Rambler said:
What you're seeing is most likely a stain. You can try holding a vitamin C tablet on it and if that doesn't work hold a trichlor tablet on it a little while.
Yea...i scrubbed the do-do out of it with a fairly hard bristle brush and it wouldnt budge. Still no CC's as of 6:00 this morning. FC at 32 and the wife juat added a 1/2 gallon at noon. Actually a cool day 75ish with cloudy skys. Hopefully I've destroyed whatever was in the pool.

Donnie

Update

Okay.....kept the pool in "shock" of 24-32ppm for 72+ hours. I've brushed the walls, cleaned the scum line and brushed anything thats not fiberglass. The water chemistry is as close to perfect as it can be. I did OFCL test 2 nights in a row and lost less than .5 each night with a trace to 0 CC's. I've had the new cell turned off for the last 48 hours. This morning my FC was at 13 and CC at 0. I changed the SWG from level 2 back to level 1 and set it at 30%. It showed 16V 5A and I set it to run from 8:00am to 10:00 pm. Everything seems to be perfect. Now if it will just keep my FC levels in check. I never had issues with my original cell. But then again......we never had a summer of 40+ 100 degree days with almost no rain either.

Donnie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.