Why 48 hours?

Sorry, posted in the BBB thread,and thought it was self explanatary. I'll expound a little.

Just added Borax and Acid yesterday. Noticed the Borax went into solution easily. Just wondered if the 48 hour wait time before testing was necessary and why?

I also and at pH greater than 8. I dumped in some acid.

How long to wait for the next pH test? I'm a little worried about high pH for a long time.

How do you determine your pH when it is off the scale?

I used 9.3 Boxes Borax and 2.6 Gallons acid for 12,100 gallons. My pool has about a 4 hr turnover and I'd like to get on this pH issue, but don't know if there is some kinda magic happens at 48 hours. It seems like pH would climb and not go down if anything. Water was perfectly tuned before the Mule Train showed up!

How aggressively can you work the pH at this stage, and what volume should be my acid dumps and how often?

Maybe I need to go back to borates pool school but I am fairly sure the ph change from the acid should show on a test within half to an hour or so of mixing. You don't have to wait 48 hours to test for it.

As far as borate testing, I would assume that your borate level is close to where you intended it to be. If you used the pool calculator, testing for it is just to confirm the result. The test is a strip, and it really can't tell you exactly how much above or below 50ppm you are anyway. For now, like CYA you assume what you added is in there.

PH should be addressed regardless of borate level. Verify your acid percentage if the amount you used did not equal what the calculator said it should do. I can't locate 31% here, mine is <25% and that's not an option on the calculator so we have to adjust it a bit.

Insofar as how to determine how high it is, you really can't so easily till it comes down a bit. Do the acid in increments and see when it changes enough to show on the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.