Narrowed List of PBs From 5 to 2

We started on our "journey" of pool ownership about 5 weeks ago now. We started by getting bids from 5 pool builders, and, after making some drastic changes to our original pool design and having 3 of the pool builders rebid, we've narrowed the bids to 2.

I have a couple of questions before we go thru final negotiations with each of them to arrive at our final decision:

1. One pool builder uses all Hayward equipment, and the other uses Pentair equipment. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Pentair might be more highly regarded than Hayward. Does this sound right? Is one brand, as a general rule, a bit better than the other?

2. Would there be any advantage to adding NPT Colorscapes to the plaster, or is it not going to provide any additional durability over a white plaster finish? (We know we don't want a dark finish in the pool, especially with the 112 degree weather we're suffering thru this summer, but we would rather not have a finish that reveals every speck of dirt).

All the specs from each builder seem equal, except for the automated cleaner. One builder listed a Polaris 280 cleaner, while the other listed a Dolphin DX4 robotic cleaner. I'm pretty sure I don't need the DX4 for our 13,000 gallon pool, so I plan on having the pool builder swap that for a Polaris 280.

Any advice from the seasoned vets here?

1) Both are good reputable mfg's. All else being equal, I'd look at the warranties. I'd go with whichever offered the best warranty. I know that Pentair offers a 3 year if you buy three major pieces of equipment (i.e. filter, pump, swg). I don't know about Hayward.

2) I would add it just to give the plaster a little character.

The 280 has a pretty good rep here. Not a lot of negative reviews.

Thanks Bama....now that you mention it, I believe the Pentair pool builder offers a 3-year warranty.

I will have to check with the pool builder to find out what the added cost of the NPT Colorscapes is, and to see if he's got any kind of display to view in order to choose the color.

The Pentair pool builder is definitely working hard to get our business. He's come down $3,000 off his bid, and offered to throw in flagstone coping to boot. I was quoted $1,000 for the Colorscapes plaster finish, so I think I'll pass on it for now.

Tomorrow I'll see what the Hayward pool builder is willing to do.

I've got another question for the experts here. Below is the pool we're going to build, along with the equipment specs from our builder:

Freeform gunite
87' Perimeter
3'6" to 4'6" Depth
Tanning ledge w/umbrella sleeve
White plaster finish
Pool size approx. 15'2" x 32'6"
Capacity of approx. 13,000 gallons
(1) Skimmer
(2) LED pool lights
(2) Main drains
(3) Returns
(1) Vac line
(2) Bubblers in Tanning Ledge
(1) Wall mounted aerator fountain
(1) 3/4hp Whisperflo pump
(1) 24" Triton sand filter
(1) Dolphin DX4 Robotic Cleaner
(1) Saltwater chlorination system
(1) Autofill
-- Upgrade to Colorscapes plaster = $1000
-- Upgrade to Rheem Heat/Chill Pump = $4250

The question I had is that the pool builder originally quoted 2 skimmers and 4 returns. When we got to his office to agree to a deal, he said he had to drop one of the skimmers and one of the returns in order to get to the price we needed to be at. In comparing the bids we got from 4 other builders, I note that all of the others quoted 2 skimmers/4 returns.

Should I be concerned that I'll only have 1 skimmer and 3 returns? The pool builder said the other skimmer/return really isn't needed for a pool this size, especially in an area where the pool will be on the north side of the house and the wind, on that side of the house, predominantly blowing south to north.

If the consensus here is that I really SHOULD have 2 skimmers/4 returns, what would be a fair price to pay to have the skimmer/return put back into the project?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.