Controlling a 2 speed pump

There are three ways to control a 2 speed pump:

Manual switch
Two speed timer
Controller

I use a controller which has separate timer functions for high and low speed. The next best thing would be a two speed timer.

I'm guessing the switch would be on the back of the motor? What would be good reasonable priced 2 speed timer? If I don't need one that would be great, but I thought in the 100s of posts I've read here that you needed to run hi speed a little a day for a skimmer to work properly.

As long as you can get enough flow through the skimmer on low speed, you shouldn't need to run on high speed. I only have a manual switch, and I get good flow through both skimmers with the pump on low speed and the main drain valve 1/4 of the way open.

guamguy said:
As long as you can get enough flow through the skimmer on low speed, you shouldn't need to run on high speed.
That is pretty key but it also depends on if you have an automatic cleaner and the size of 2 speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.