My dog Sylvester

G

i think its great what your doing to help those animals. i need to join the local spca to help out a bit with donations.

i just wish i could do more to help my best friend.

we found out today our youngest dog has cancer,
when it comes to my dogs, i drop everything, dont care what happens they are loyal to me i need to be loyal to them, but vet said that theres nothing we can do, were waiting on tests to see if we can treat it, but it looks like its in the bones and he is suffering. i hate to think about it. but it may be also somthing treatable and he has an operation, im hopeing for the latter.

waste said:
Vince, so sorry to hear about your best friend :cry: He and you will be in our prayers!

I sincerely hope everything works out for the best! - Ted

THANKS!!! :-D

he has purked up a bit, eats well again. it just hurts him to walk up stares or get on the bed, i try to lift him and always grab him wrong them he yelps, so i went and got a ramp to help him and have layed carpet all over the house on top of the wood floors to stop his slipping. but again sitting here very uptight wishing the vet was open on the weekend and worried what tommarrows gunna bring, i didnt sleep at all last night i tried to go break the ice layer on top of the pool but i didn't do much LOL, im dead tired now but dont plan for much better sleep anyway. i have lost dogs before but these guys are incredibaly specail to me. it kills me to pet him as i think about whats wrong with him. :? :? :cry:

Dear Vince,

Hi, this is Mrs Waste. I am so sorry for the pain you and your baby are going through - please send back his name so I can pray hard for you both. I was lucky in a way that my Danny was taken from me so suddenly during surgery as he never suffered. I think the Lord knew he was the first real dog of my own and that I probably couldn't handle going through a long drawn out thing and I'm sure he knew that Danny had already been through enough with being fought and abused.

Please know that you both are in our thoughts and prayers.

Rollin Thunder said:
waste said:
Vince, so sorry to hear about your best friend :cry: He and you will be in our prayers!

I sincerely hope everything works out for the best! - Ted

THANKS!!! :-D

he has purked up a bit, eats well again. it just hurts him to walk up stares or get on the bed, i try to lift him and always grab him wrong them he yelps, so i went and got a ramp to help him and have layed carpet all over the house on top of the wood floors to stop his slipping. but again sitting here very uptight wishing the vet was open on the weekend and worried what tommarrows gunna bring, i didnt sleep at all last night i tried to go break the ice layer on top of the pool but i didn't do much LOL, im dead tired now but dont plan for much better sleep anyway. i have lost dogs before but these guys are incredibaly specail to me. it kills me to pet him as i think about whats wrong with him. :? :? :cry:

It's a shame to hear about your friend Rollin, We had to have a 12 yr old Sheltie put down.
Long story short, we had been dog sitting since the owner broke both her ankles.
After 2 yrs of sitting we were attached.
Flash had a growth on his hind leg that didn't seem to bother him until one day he started to chew at it.
One thing lead to another and surgery would have taken the leg and the vet said possibly more, my wife was heart broken to have him put down.
I built a nice resting place and buried him near our stream where he liked to play.
Now we have inherited 2 more (see above pics) and have found them to be really good for the both of us.

waste said:
Dear Vince,

Hi, this is Mrs Waste. I am so sorry for the pain you and your baby are going through - please send back his name so I can pray hard for you both. I was lucky in a way that my Danny was taken from me so suddenly during surgery as he never suffered. I think the Lord knew he was the first real dog of my own and that I probably couldn't handle going through a long drawn out thing and I'm sure he knew that Danny had already been through enough with being fought and abused.

Please know that you both are in our thoughts and prayers.

his name is sylvester. thankfully his older brother Sebastian seems to be coping with it, but he knows something is wrong. you can just see it in his eyes, Thank You so much for the support, he is in my prayers too, this is the hardest thing of pet ownership.

one of the hardest things is seeing him suffer, he cant do the things he loves any more, cant run through the yard and try and scare all the birds and squirrels, cant growl at the pool, he seems to have the most pain in his neck so he cant lift his head , but i still lay down on the floor and pet him, its just hard. i have lost alot of dogs in the past, and this is just as hard as ever, but whats even harder is he is only 8. i just hope his older brother is around alot longer, they were born from the same mother, just different fathers, hopefully the gene was not in the mother. i would hate to loose two best friends so soon. we know we have to wait (probably a good 2 months if not more) but are looking for puppy breaders for another golden, my little kids are excited, but i still feel like im dis loyal. :cry:

the one thing i give him a HUGE credit to is through all this, he has always been happy, big puppy eyes, waging tail when i pet him, and still that the doggy "smile" on his face, im glad he still feels that way, hope for the best but am expecting the worst and if it is somthing serious, we know what the most humane thing to do is. i cant be selfish and just put off the un avoidable. thats the dis loyal thing. but there is still a chance this may be treatable and after some sugury can be completly cured, but the chances are not the best, but you never know, i just dont want him to suffer, i hate when he wimpers, i feel like its so crule that he has to go through all that. :cry: :(

talked to the vet today, they still cant identify the cancer, going tommarrow bright an early to get him tested again, he has to get a mini sugury to get these tests. doctor is still VERY optimistic and said were not at the time to give up and put him down, and there is still a chance we can do kimo and he can feel better in 24 hours but need to do this test, sad part is its friday before the new results and that again is hopeing for the best but expecting the worst, but the vet does not seem to be negative yet and thats very uplifting.

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS FOR THE SUPPORT AND PRAYERS. i keep him in my prayers too. the tuff part is how hard it is on the family. but hopefully this week will be worth it to save his life.

Rollin Thunder said:
we know we have to wait (probably a good 2 months if not more) but are looking for puppy breaders for another golden, my little kids are excited, but i still feel like im dis loyal. :cry:

:(

I felt the same way when we had to put one of our dachshunds (Daisy) down due to Cushings Syndrome a couple of years ago. I so wanted another puppy but I was torn because I felt like I was replacing the dog. I knew it wasn't that, it just made me feel like I was betraying Daisy. My other 2 dachshunds were very depressed, they whined day and night. They had really taken care of her the last few weeks when she was the most sick. My then 14 yr old son carried Daisy's collar with him in his pocket everywhere he went. I decided that maybe if we got a puppy then it might help us all. It worked out great. It gave the kids something to get their mind off of the loss and the dogs a new playmate. They had gotten really lazy and a puppy nipping at ther tails gave them a new reason to run and chase and wrestle.

Now we've had a litter of puppies and when I was finding them new families I realized a lot of people fight that same battle with themselves. I had 2 men and 1 woman call me discussing this exact same dilemma. I was able to share Daisy's story and they seemed to feel better about their decision.

skinnydipper said:
Rollin Thunder said:
we know we have to wait (probably a good 2 months if not more) but are looking for puppy breaders for another golden, my little kids are excited, but i still feel like im dis loyal. :cry:

:(

I felt the same way when we had to put one of our dachshunds (Daisy) down due to Cushings Syndrome a couple of years ago. I so wanted another puppy but I was torn because I felt like I was replacing the dog. I knew it wasn't that, it just made me feel like I was betraying Daisy. My other 2 dachshunds were very depressed, they whined day and night. They had really taken care of her the last few weeks when she was the most sick. My then 14 yr old son carried Daisy's collar with him in his pocket everywhere he went. I decided that maybe if we got a puppy then it might help us all. It worked out great. It gave the kids something to get their mind off of the loss and the dogs a new playmate. They had gotten really lazy and a puppy nipping at ther tails gave them a new reason to run and chase and wrestle.

Now we've had a litter of puppies and when I was finding them new families I realized a lot of people fight that same battle with themselves. I had 2 men and 1 woman call me discussing this exact same dilemma. I was able to share Daisy's story and they seemed to feel better about their decision.

i would do it for the family and to help the other dog cope with it, i can tell for sure im gunna have the older one tested every 4 months for stuff like this.

it does not look good, the tests today showed that its gotton worse. it looks like friday we may put him down, i know its hard but i cant stand to see him suffer any more. the vet just said the results friday may be good and if we worked fast, could cure it, but still a chance thats its too aggressive and we can do nothing, im prepairing my self for the worst. im also spending time with his brother as im sure he is hurting through all this. :cry:

thanks for the story, makes me feel better. i dont want to replace him like a tv set or somthing, i know he is a completly different animal that deserves the same un conditional love my silvester got.

just as a follow up, he was put to sleep today (January 16,2008) at about 330 p.m. may he rest in peace. :cry:

thank you all for the stories and lisning to me and also for the prayers.

Vince

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vince,

So (!) sorry to hear that Sylvester is no longer with us :cry: I know, and I'm sure you do too, that it was the most humane and loving thing you could have done for him, rather than have him suffer. However, that doesn't mean that it was an easy decision to make -- my wife actually cried when I told her :( Give Sebastian a lot of extra love, now that he's lost his buddy and when you're ready, get the new puppy (not! to replace Sylvester, but to give you and your family another dog to love and fill some of the void that Sylvester's passing has left)

You, your family and Sylvester will remain in our prayers!!! - Ted & Mrs Waste

waste said:
Vince,

So (!) sorry to hear that Sylvester is no longer with us :cry: I know, and I'm sure you do too, that it was the most humane and loving thing you could have done for him, rather than have him suffer. However, that doesn't mean that it was an easy decision to make -- my wife actually cried when I told her :( Give Sebastian a lot of extra love, now that he's lost his buddy and when you're ready, get the new puppy (not! to replace Sylvester, but to give you and your family another dog to love and fill some of the void that Sylvester's passing has left)

You, your family and Sylvester will remain in our prayers!!! - Ted & Mrs Waste

THANKYOU!! everyone, makes me feel specail that were kinda a cyber family here.

its a huge stress off of all of us, im still feeling down (as is the rest of the family, the kids spent today at their grandmas so they did not have o whitness it all, we had to have the doctor come here, and take him in the back of my truck to the vet as when ever i tried to move him it would make him yelp (make it even harder) , but keeping busy, and was happy to hear that the lady in there with us whos dog fell in a pool and got hypothermia survived and is doing great.

but he is missed but im know that he is able to do the things that he loves again with out pain, it was a very hard decision to make, but they say the cancer was so rare they probably would have not been able to treat it, and last night he was not even able to move on his own, thats when i knew it was time, and the look on his face was "im ready" you just know these things. yes in time we will get another dog, but sure when im ready, we will get another puppy, and i want to make sure that its been long enough that we appreciate the new puppy for all we can and not to replace the old one like a fridge, or tv.

yes were giving extra specail attention to his brother, yes their true brothers, same mother, different father, hopefully the cancer gene was in his father, but we are getting him tested ever 4 months now just to be safe, tonight we all had steak, including sebastian. he is also sleeping on our bed now. WHY NOT??

we are having him cremated and will bury him in the back yard, the hard thing is i have not been in this house a year. i didnt think i would be doing this so soon. were thinking a palm tree to go over him. a family tradition was to bury him under a tree, usually a pine, but that was when we were in illinois, were in a more southern area , and i think a palm fits the bill.

again, thankyou for all the prayers and support. its incredibly wonderful to know you guys are here, and also know that im here too. :wink:

Oh Vince, I'm so sorry that Sylvester is no longer with you. Take comfort in knowing that you gave him a really great life for the time he had and that you had the courage to end his pain. I too, think about one of my previous dogs, Nikki, and how she's now able to run and jump and do all the goofy things she couldn't do after cancer entered her life.

Funny thing...when we began to look for a puppy after we put Nikki down (our much older male dog was VERY picky about his canine associates, especially the adult kind), we looked at a rescue litter that had 1 pup that looked like a young Nikki. We immediately dismissed that pup and looked at the other pups, not wanting a "newer version" of Nikki. But one pup was too timid, another already spoken for, another one too pushy, etc. When all was said and done, that look-alike pup turned out to be our choice because of who she was and not who she looked like. She's been a true gem ever since and there's NO WAY I could get her confused with Nikki! Both were/are exceptional in their own way, despite similar looks. And...she loves to swim!

Hoping you'll soon have brighter days...

dawndenise said:
Funny thing...when we began to look for a puppy after we put Nikki down (our much older male dog was VERY picky about his canine associates, especially the adult kind), we looked at a rescue litter that had 1 pup that looked like a young Nikki. We immediately dismissed that pup and looked at the other pups, not wanting a "newer version" of Nikki.

That sounds soooo familiar! Our dachshunds were all short haired, smooth reds. Then when Daisy passed and I struggled with the idea of a new puppy I looked at every kind of dachshund except red. I guess it helps justify it or something. We ended up getting a long haired chocolate- completely opposite of Daisy looks and personality. I think it makes me miss Daisy even more.

Vince,
I'm sorry that Sylvester had to leave us. Just based on what you've shared, I'm certain he had lots of love.
A palm tree to remember him by sounds very nice.

skinnydipper said:
dawndenise said:
Funny thing...when we began to look for a puppy after we put Nikki down (our much older male dog was VERY picky about his canine associates, especially the adult kind), we looked at a rescue litter that had 1 pup that looked like a young Nikki. We immediately dismissed that pup and looked at the other pups, not wanting a "newer version" of Nikki.

That sounds soooo familiar! Our dachshunds were all short haired, smooth reds. Then when Daisy passed and I struggled with the idea of a new puppy I looked at every kind of dachshund except red. I guess it helps justify it or something. We ended up getting a long haired chocolate- completely opposite of Daisy looks and personality. I think it makes me miss Daisy even more.

Vince,
I'm sorry that Sylvester had to leave us. Just based on what you've shared, I'm certain he had lots of love.
A palm tree to remember him by sounds very nice.

im scared now,today my son came to me and told me he found the same little lump on the arm pit of sebastin, that i found on the neck of sylvester, were going to the vet first thing in the morning, i dont know if i could bear the pain of loosing two so soon.

but he is not acting like Sylvester was. Sylvester lost all energy, apitite, and you had to be very carful where you pet him Sebastin is jumpin, running around, eating like a king, we fed him chicken sandwhiches today with gravy, we are takeing him with us when we go out. just so he does not have to be alone.

one really neat thing is we have a candel lit in his honer, a tradition, i lit it last night (early) right now it is still burning, im amazed it is still burning.

SeanB said:
Very sorry to hear about your dogs.

I've split this discussion from the pet pictures thread since it's a different subject.

Sean

Thanks Sean, that was a good idea, as it was a depressing subject, while the pet pictures are cute and uplifting. :-D

but Sebastin is fine, the vet said its just a fat deposit, and they drained it and found nothing to be conserned about, the blood test also showed nothing that seemed harmful. so were good there. :-D

Vince,

I am so very sorry for your loss. I know what a huge hole Sylvester has left behind in your lives.

You did the right thing in letting him go. There's very little we can do for dogs with cancer other than lessen their discomfort with meds.

The grief and sorrow we feel when they pass on is sort of a tax we pay on loving them, on having them in our lives, on being the centers of their universe.

With sympathy,

AnnaK

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.