Hayward S220T Tank Leak

jfitzpat6791

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 18, 2008
Amherst, MA
Hi - i have a ten year old Hayward sand filter (S220T) that has developed a pinhole leak about six inches from the top at one of the seams. I know the tank is going to have to be replaced sooner rather than later but am wondering what might work as a temporary patch til I can get around to it. Thanks for any suggestions.

John

There are some two-part stick type epoxies that are rated for wet installation. One is known as "Swimming Pool Epoxy", but you could probably find something at an auto parts store. Shut the system down, work it into the hole as much as possible, and let it cure. Won't cost much to try.

To add a little to what John said, I think I would drill the pinhole leak first....probably 1/8 or maybe 3/16 and then it will be much easier to work in epoxy.

What do you think caused the hole? That's pretty unusual.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up finding some JB Weld "Waterweld" epoxy putty and trying that first without drilling out the hole. (was concerned that I wouldn't be able to still run the pump in re-circulate - which I can do now - if the patch didn't hold). Long story short - it's still leaking after several applications over the pinhole area. And now can't drill it out since the stuff is hard as nails and won't chisel off.

I'm supposed to have a replacement tank in a few days so prob will just wait and make the swap. Was wondering if anyone has come up with an adapter to connect a garden hose to the bottom drain on the Hayward tank. It seems to be a non standard thread and over an inch OD. When I've done this job previously - for broken laterals, etc - the water gets all over the boiler room since the floor drain is too far away from the filter.

The bottom drain on that filter is probably a standard NPT size. If so, you can find (I think I found tham at HD/Lowe's) a conversion fitting that is standard npt (3/4", I think) on one side and garden hose threads on the other end. Look in the irrigation fittings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.