Recomendations on Filters, pumps and controllers.

swilk

Jul 23, 2011
Southwest Indiana
I am putting together a "parts list" if you will for a DIY inground build.

It seems to me the Hayward system is designed to run together and with the right combination of components it would be a fairly easy to operate system.

I am planning on a 20x40 sport bottom pool that I would guess would have a capacity in the neighborhood of 27-28000 gallons. I also am toying with the idea of an overflow spa.

Equipment distance from the pool will be in the 20-30' range.

Intend to use all 2" sch40 piping.

I intend to use 2 skimmers but am unsure of returns and locations. The pool will have an under coping automatic cover so the steps will be inside the outline of the pool. The steps have an option of 2 "spa jets" ..... been toying with the idea of having steps in each of the two corners on one end.

So here is the equipment I have been looking at:

Hayward ecostar pump.
Hayward swimclear cartridge filter (not sure of the size ... is bigger better? 325 sq' model)
Hayward pro logic controller. Would the 4 function or the 8 function be needed? I would like it to control as much as possible.
2 Colorlogic 4.0 lights.

Possibly a Hayward heat pump .... might just plan for this now but upgrade later.

So ... thoughts on my list? Thoughts on the optimum number of returns and their placement? I assume the "spa jet" option in the steps is nothing more than return lines plumbed to the stairs?

Any options I am missing that I should consider. Money is definitely a consideration (or I sure as heck wouldn't be doing it myself) but at the same time if something will be impossible to change later on I should consider it now.

Pool newbie but learning as fast as I can.

Where are you located? This may impact your decision on a HP or gas heater. Decide on the spa and the gas, IMO, is automatically it.

WRT to the cartridge filter, bigger is better.

Two fixtures will leave you wanting. Put a 3rd in.

Four returns will do nicely.

I didn't see a sweep.

Without the spa, why any automation?

Scott

Do the spill over spas have their own heaters? Or do they rely on an external heater?

No option for gas ... country home with no gas to the property.

Fixtures? Lights? 3 lights? Each end of the pool .... and the third?

Sweep? Cleaner? I plan on using a Dolphin maybe possibly?

Automation is the answer to procrastination and forgetfulness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.