You guys sure know your stuff re: pools, but I only see talk about backyard pools? Can I rack your brains and gain some insight on our pools?
We have multiple 80K-120K gallon, high use (15+ hours/day)/high temperature (+85*F) indoor pools.
I've spent hours trolling this site and the others that are mentioned in the various threads and I really appreciate the level of sophistication you all display.
Our biggest issue is with our indoor pools and the chloramines. We keep a high FC residual (3-5ppm) to combat the many young and old bodies in our water. We would like to be able to run lower levels of chlorine and not have use 20+ gallons of Sodium Hypo to shock the pool.
The powers that be are ready to dump tons of money on a UV system to combat the CC's because it is rare to see CC levels <1.0ppm using the 10x shock method. We know our air systems arent adequate and improving that is also on the table.
I have read that some suggest to keep a small residual of CYA in an indoor pool, but my techs gasp at that notion. I have heard that a weekly use of KMPS (non-chlorine shock) is an option but the techs tell me that it is too expensive and it will throw off the ORP sensors.
Most of our pools use either Sodium Hypo or Calcium Hypo and Muriatic acid or CO2. Currently they are diluting the water and shocking at 10X CC levels (with windows/doors open and fans blowing over the water) to control the chloramines.
I should mention that we arent afforded any down time except overnight and the longest window to do the shocking is only 15 hours. This creates a problem when we have to add high amounts of chlorine that need to be neutralized before the pool is opened the next day.