Solar Cover and Algae

May 24, 2010
Hi all,

We haven't put our clear solar cover on our pool for a couple of weeks, and so it has been sitting folded -- sometimes wet -- in hot sun during that time. I've fought algae in the pool a couple of times this year, and now that I have it cleared up, I'm hesitant to put the cover on for fear the cover itself might harbor algae. Am thinking about using a push broom to brush the cover with a bleach/water solution. What do you think? What ratio would you use? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

That sounds like a good idea. If you see algae on the cover, use 2 parts water to 1 part bleach and scrub the areas well and allow to dry before putting it back in the pool. If the push broom is too rough on your cover, try a thick napped paint roller to apply the bleach solution.

Just and FYI. If you leave your solar cover sitting out in the sun, make sure it's covered with something reflective, or unfolded, so the sun doesn't heat it up. The heat when folded or rolled up can cause early failure of the cover.
I learned my lesson this year, from leaving it out at the end of last year. When we used it this year, it started deteriorating in the pool. Dots everywhere. Had to keep emptying the skimmer baskets or they would clog.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.