PH issue

Starsky

LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2008
Long story short. No power to fuel message. K-1 was burned out. Got board replaced after 2 weeks of dealing with warranty issue. Tried to keep bleach in the pool to keep algae at bay. Fast forward 3 weeks... PH showed high so I put in MA as usual. Do this once a week every week and don't have issues. But recently I have put in almost a gallon and PH wont move off extremely red. It has me wondering if I went so far the other way that it is super low PH and past the orangy yellow into a deep red?

woodyp said:
Even if you poured the gallon in all at once..........it would lower your PH by 1.28 for 24k gallons. It must be dang high.

and I don't know how it would have gotten so high. I did shock it last week over 3 days with 1000+ oz of bleach bringing FC up to 28 but that was a week ago. I understand you get false highs during the shock but FC is back to 5

Lost confidence in my testing, was getting very faint chlorine read on the quick test. Had super chlorinate on 2 hrs, SWG on 95% with pump running 8 hrs and was getting very faint reading. Took it to pool store last week and they read 22ppm chlorine and said it was so high it was "bleaching out" the test results.

Turned chlorinator off to bring it back down over the weekend and still getting no reading on my taylor test. Took it back to the store and they got the following

FC 6.2
TC 6.2
CC 0
PH 7.6
Hardness 320
Alkalinity 56 (with correction) low
CYA 62

Why am I getting no color from my chlorine test? I even added shock granules, (3 or 4) and a LOT of color showed up. I tested my spa and got typical reading... I really am starting to think their test is off and I have 0 chlorine..

I tried the drop test and when I added the powder it had a slight tint of pink but not much and didn't change tint as I added the drops of solution.

Try the powder again. Add more powder this time, enough to turn it hot pink.

And, if you do actually have 22ppm chlorine you'll be dropping in 44 drops. Don't stop till it changes to clear, even if it's 44 drops or more.

High chlorine requires more powder. If the first scoop doesn't turn it hot pink, add more.

Butterfly said:
I suggest you use the OTO (yellow drops) test. This is a bullet proof test for the presence of chlorine.

If you don't get some yellow, you have no chlorine!

Is that the small bottle with the yellow lid that you drop five drops into the plastic vial with the color codes along side it? If so, then zip chlorine.

Is that the small bottle with the yellow lid that you drop five drops into the plastic vial with the color codes along side it? If so, then zip chlorine.
Yes it is. (it's called an OTO chlorine test) That is the correct way to find out if there is chlorine in your pool. The test is simple, fast and inexpensive.

Okay, so you have zero chlorine in your pool. DO NOT ask your SWG to bring your FC back up to normal. You need to do that with CLorox even though your SWG may be working fine.

Could you submit a current complete set of test results (no need to do the chlorine) that you perform with your own (not the pool store's) testing? Tell us what your water looks like.

I'm an idiot.

When my PH and Chlorine drop bottles ran out a few weeks ago I ran in a pool store and bought what I thought were better replacements. Red and Yellow lids on the bottles.. well it was a Taylor Reagent #3 Apparently that is NOT what is needed for the 5 drop test. I bought the OTO today and bam!! chlorine... ah feel so dumb....(Steve Martin voice)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Starsky said:
I'm an idiot.

When my PH and Chlorine drop bottles ran out a few weeks ago I ran in a pool store and bought what I thought were better replacements. Red and Yellow lids on the bottles.. well it was a Taylor Reagent #3 Apparently that is NOT what is needed for the 5 drop test. I bought the OTO today and bam!! chlorine... ah feel so dumb....(Steve Martin voice)
aw, you're not the first one to do something like that! :hammer: :mrgreen:
I remember one time when I.... :shock: nevermind :oops: .

Good news is that you got chlorine! :goodjob: Let us know how it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.