White Stain at Water Line

Stinkyfish

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2007
Bellflower Ca
Since I had to remove 42% of the water to get my CH level corrected I figured it would be a good time to remove the water line stain. I started out w/ a 4:1 mixture of muriatic acid and water in a sprayer. It would not remove it. 2:1 NOTHING. 100% NOTHING. I have tried using a brush and a scotchbrite pad. Still won't budge. I was thinking of trying CLR. Do you think it will contaminate the water? Any other ideas? I may have to go rent a jackhammer to get this stuff off.
Pool1-16-08001.jpg
[/img]
Calciumbuildup0011.jpg
[/img]

Often times all that will remove such a line from tilework is a pumice stone and a lot of elbow grease! If you go that route be sure to test the stone to make sure it doesn't scratch the tile and only removes the stain.

If muriatic won't work, I don't think CLR will have any affect. Based on your pool water history and the good pictures, I would have assumed that to be calcium deposits.....muriatic acid handles calcium very easily so something's up.

I'd still have to guess calcium so maybe something else is covering or coating the calcium so the muriatic can't get to it....like soap scum frequently covers mineral stains in a shower.

Perhaps, first try some Comet or Ajax to remove the scum and then muriatic to remove the white calcium deposits. You'll know if the muriatic is working.......it will foam or bubble instantly....usually 4:1 is about right.

If that doesn't work, I'm stumped.

I assume the tile is man made ceramic (is it porcelain?) and not a natural stone.

I found the answer for those stuborn stains:
Motorized Elbow Grease.
Pool1-17-08001.jpg

You should of seen the look on the wifes face when she came home and saw me in my waders standing in the pool grinding away on HER tile. I finished by cleaning all the tiles w/ biodegradable pool soap. They look great.
Pool1-17-08004.jpg

Pool1-17-08003.jpg

Did your wife like the outcome (after she revived from the shock?? )
She's not complaining so I will take that as a compliment.
Nice work! Did you use a sand paper tip or grinding pad or something else?
I used a 3M Paint & Rust Stripper. Here's what is left of it:
Pool1-17-08006.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.