CH a mile high at 520- causes and effect?

Jun 18, 2010
FC- 2.5
CC -.5
TA- 90
CH- 520
CYA- 80
pH-8.2
Salt- 3260

New pool this May and I have no idea why my CH is at 520. I checked it two days in a row and got the same result- 52 drops x 10 = 520.
Pool calc says replace half of my water. Before I do that, I'd like to know why it may be in the 500s in the first place, or it may just go there again.
What causes CH to rise?
What effect does too high of a CH count have?

And yes, the 8.2 is too (Dang) high. Every time I turn around the pH has shot past 8.
4 cups of muriatic acid gets it back down but it just goes back up in a matter of days.

Have you checked the CA of the fill water? Areas with very hard water will have higher CA levels. CA does not evaporate out,and when you add more water the CA level will rise. Also if anyone used any Calcium Hypochlorite in the pool that will raise CA as well.

With new plaster the pH is going to want to rise, same thing with using an SWG. The CA is high but manageable if you can keep the pH and TA low, around 7.2 and 70 respectively.

Hey neighbor...I told you I'd gladly be your pool boy :lol:

Anyhow, you are not that far from me and my fill water CH is 350+ depending on the season. Evaporation and high CH fill water will make you CH concentration grow :x

Whatever you do, just make sure the PH does not climb over 7.8 as it will put you at risk of calcium scaling.

Well, you have your answer...

If 520 is a mile high, I guess I'm about a mile and a quarter. Drive down TA. Keep tabs on pH. Yes, it will use a LOT of acid. Pool Calculator will tell you the CSI. Keep tabs on that. And get as much rainwater in your pool as you can. That's what saved me. I directed a downspout into my pool, so I replaced about 3X as many inches of pool water as each storm dropped.

Richard320 said:
Well, you have your answer...

If 520 is a mile high, I guess I'm about a mile and a quarter. Drive down TA. Keep tabs on pH. Yes, it will use a LOT of acid. Pool Calculator will tell you the CSI. Keep tabs on that. And get as much rainwater in your pool as you can. That's what saved me. I directed a downspout into my pool, so I replaced about 3X as many inches of pool water as each storm dropped.
Good idea, my CH is also very high at 575, however I keep tabs on my PH and TA. We have had lots of rain lately and I drain the pool using the main drain only after the pool fills up, hopefully to reduce the CH concentration. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.