Mesa Arizona pool build (documenting our progress)

Jul 7, 2011
Mesa, Arizona
I am creating this thread to document our pool construction process. We decided a month ago to go ahead and have a pool put in. After shopping around the Valley, we landed with Shasta Pools. A fairly simple freeform play pool. We are currently in week 3 of waiting for our building permit from the city and the county. Hopefully we'll have this within the next week so we can get digging!

A couple details of the pool. Plaster finish, baja deck (with umbrella sleeve) and in pool table with small bench (also with umbrella sleeve). Three deck jets along back side of pool for a little sound ambiance and aerating. In ground floor cleaning system (mainly due to the neighbors constantly shedding pine tree), and upgraded to the fancy LED light (something to enjoy when the water is too cold to swim in as well as visual ambiance when hanging out by the fire pit). Three small tile mosaics (two geckos and a hibiscus flower). Depth from 3' at entry to 5' at deepest back to 4' at far end with small bench seat at back. 26' 7" at greatest length, 15' 7" at greatest width.

One nice added bonus was the freebie 9' (Cantilever?) umbrella that swivels 360Ëš included with our pool purchase. Now for a couple photos...

Drawing of our pool:
gfx-guru-pool-drawing-1.jpg

Painted line of pool boundaries (difficult to see):
gfx-guru-pool-painting-1.jpg

Pool boundary lines drawn in for a little better visual idea of layout:
gfx-guru-pool-painting-2.jpg

As things continue to progress forward, I'll be adding more photos of the construction!

Latest updates. Received building permit about a week ago. Construction drawings have been finalized and approved by us so we are in motion to move forward!

Landscaper out this morning to remove yard. Pool outline will be repainted on Monday, with digging to begin on Tuesday!

Sod Cutting
IMG_2764.jpg

Sod Cutting
IMG_2765.jpg

Sod Cutting/Cleanup Piles
photo.jpg

Dirt Yard Ready For Dig
IMG_2766.jpg

Dirt Yard Ready For Dig
IMG_2767.jpg

More pics to come soon! :-D

brg88tx said:
i don't understand why the grass was removed before the dig.....is this an arizona thing?

The contractor for the PB who is doing the dig requires the pool portion of the lawn removed as it is transferred to another site that needs fill dirt. They do not want any weeds, grass, etc. when they go to the new location to dump. We had the whole yard taken out though as we are just going to fill the remainder of the yard with stone and shrubs/trees and not even worry about having any grass.

Honestly, I don't know if this is a normal thing for pool builds out here or not. Although, most sites of pool construction are new construction homes or sites where it is only dirt to begin with anyway.

Your going to love that table in the pool. Its like command central for me and keeps my frosty drinks close . How are they doing yours?[attachment=0:1zfvi2ef]033.JPG[/attachment:1zfvi2ef]

Attachments

• 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 866
mybigchevy said:
Your going to love that table in the pool. Its like command central for me and keeps my frosty drinks close . How are they doing yours?[attachment=0:2sk95usx]033.JPG[/attachment:2sk95usx]

Ours is going to be nearly identical to yours other than the bench around the table will be raised because of the slope in the water level so the second step will not be continuous across. It will be located just off to the left though after you enter the pool. We are looking the most forward to this as most of the time we'll just be chill in' at the table with a frosty beverage staying cool! :-D

New updates as of August 17! Pool dig only took one day! They said they'd be here at 5:30am, they were here at 5:30am banging around taking down the wall. No need for an alarm clock! So, the first couple photos were from inside the house. Working second shift and being woken up at an extremely early first shift time, I did not venture out until around 9am.

Project inspector came out this morning, got the first 30% payment and set up to continue to the build. Plumbing goes in tomorrow, rebar on Friday with a possibility of electrical on Friday as well. If not, electrical would start on Monday.

The great news is I thought we wouldn't have a completion date until around Sept. 14, but were told this morning the project inspector/coordinator feels we should see water in it within 3 weeks as they will be looking to have people out here almost daily! :mrgreen:

Okay, on to the latest pics:

Good morning wake up call
Poolconstructiondig6.jpg

Dumping the dirt (filled about 6 truck loads)
Poolconstructiondig7.jpg

Another look at the path to the trucks in line
Poolconstructiondig8.jpg

Half wall torn apart with dust and dirt everywhere!
Poolconstructiondig9.jpg

Back flow filter installed on main water line
Poolconstructiondig10.jpg

Pretty much dug up
Poolconstructiondig11.jpg

The morning after
Poolconstructiondig12.jpg

More morning after
Poolconstructiondig13.jpg

More morning after
Poolconstructiondig14.jpg

More morning after
Poolconstructiondig15.jpg

Next up, plumbing and steel! Should hopefully have more photos by the weekend!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brushpup said:
Looking better every day! You guys expect to swim in it this year?

We hope to get at least 2-4 weeks use out of it this year expecting a ready to swim date around the second week in September. We typically hold around 100 degrees for highs in Sept, lows in the upper 70s/low80s. Will most likely invest in some sort or solar cover as well to see if we can keep from losing heat as the overnight lows drop.

Of course, I guess depending on your sensitivity to the water temp, you probably could swim until the end of October. I prefer the water around 84-86. Having no humidity make a huge difference to me when the water gets below that!

Well these guys are an a streaking pace! I couldn't get any pics of just the plumbing as the rebar and electrical teams were out this morning at 6am! So, here are a couple more photos of the construction to this point. Will post some more over the weekend when he work site is empty!

Pool plumbing going in
PoolconstructionPRE16.jpg

Another angle of pool plumbing and equipment
PoolconstructionPRE17.jpg

Rebar and electrical install
PoolconstructionPRE18.jpg

Pool equipment with electrical box going in
PoolconstructionPRE19.jpg

Moving very fast :whoot: . I like your concrete fence. We are in the process of getting one built for our back yard but it will be pressure treated pine. Keep the pics coming. Looks like you will be swimming in September :cheers: :cheers:

Okay, a few updated picture form this morning for a little better look now that all the rebar and plumbing is finished.

Watching all this stuff happen is so cool. Just seeing how it all takes place and everyone works together and relies on each other. The rebar is like sculpting. Just so cool, now you can actually see the forms, curves and elevations.

On to the photos...

Water line now hooked up to back flow filter
PoolconstructionPRE27.jpg

Pool equipment and timer box ready to go
PoolconstructionPRE21.jpg

Pool with completed rebar and plumbing
PoolconstructionPRE20.jpg

Pool light with ground line
PoolconstructionPRE22.jpg

Another electrical ground
PoolconstructionPRE23.jpg

Look from fire pit area with palms
PoolconstructionPRE24.jpg

Pool from backside showing light, deck jets, return
PoolconstructionPRE25.jpg

Pool from backside showing entry area, baja shelf and bench/table area
PoolconstructionPRE26.jpg

The hope now is that shotcrete happens this Monday or Tuesday as I believe that is the next stage.

Brentr said:
Moving very fast :whoot: . I like your concrete fence. We are in the process of getting one built for our back yard but it will be pressure treated pine. Keep the pics coming. Looks like you will be swimming in September :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks! We're getting more excited each day as it gets closer and closer. Yeah, the concrete walls are a staple out here, just about every development/community has them. Great for privacy and letting the dogs out without a leash. September can't come soon enough! :-D

Wow, I am surprised your crete will have time to cure for a September swim. You're doing a great job documenting this with the pictures. It is so fun to watch these going in...at least to me. Really enjoying your build man.

forph said:
Wow!!! I'm very jealous of your speedy pool build process. Can't believe they work almost daily basis. Looking nice so far and keep more pics coming:)

Thanks! I will absolutely be continuing to post pics.

Brushpup said:
Wow, I am surprised your crete will have time to cure for a September swim. You're doing a great job documenting this with the pictures. It is so fun to watch these going in...at least to me. Really enjoying your build man.

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment. I believe the crete should cure within a week. We just need to water it daily multiple times to keep it from drying out and cracking. With temps around 110 this week, everything crisps pretty quickly! :sun:

I know the feeling on watching these being built too. I love checking out the other posts of pool builds as well. It's too bad I have to work while the majority of the cool stuff happens.

Still constructing at full throttle here! Latest pics below! Shotcrete stage.

Blocked in!
Poolconstructionshotcrete28.jpg

A little peek over
Poolconstructionshotcrete29.jpg

Opening at end of pool looking in
Poolconstructionshotcrete30.jpg

Cement truck mixing
Poolconstructionshotcrete31.jpg

Blocked in and not getting out without driving over stone!
Poolconstructionshotcrete32.jpg

Spraying shotcrete
Poolconstructionshotcrete33.jpg

Finally have an actual form to the pool now as is revealed in the next post!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.