Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Poolskim review.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Back To Top    #1

Poolskim review.

Hi All,
    I've been looking at this device for years and hesitated buying it.

I have a black locust tree near my pool which is absolutely beautiful BUT it is the messiest **** thing ever. Little tiny brown leaves everywhere. It just so happens the one area of my pool is kind of a dead zone. Leaves just collect on the surface and sit there. After a while they get waterlogged and fall to the bottom. Tired of the maintenance I figured I'll drop the $100 and see if this thing works. It arrived quickly and took about 15 minutes to install.

I LOVE this thing! It has amazing suction and collects everything that was in the dead area. A true godsend and well worth the $100. I just wish I would have thought of it

This is one of those products that just plain works. Its not too obtrusive either and easily removable if necessary. My Blue Diamond gets along with it too.

Joe
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Poolskim review.

Hi all, Just ordered my Pool Skim and was curious...i have an older pool with slanted 1" diam return pipes....can I use the
    Polaris 1" stub pipe connection recommended by PoolSkim or do I need to have a pipe that return straight on perpendicular to the wall? Also, is it just as easy to find a pvc adapter that can transition a straght 1" pipe to a 1.5" threaded connection? Thanks in advance for any comments or advice!
    IG Gunnite Pool Size: 25K gallons (20 x 40, 3'6" to 6" depth) with 2 huge Baker Hydro cartridge filters under the skimmer baskets on the suction side, 2 mech timers
    BRAND NEW PLASTER! Quartzscapes/Diamondbrite, Newer Polaris 280, Brand New Hayward Maxflo VS, Brand New Pentair Intelichlor
    I will conquer the black algae this pool season!!!

3. Back To Top    #3

Very interested in pools skim sounds like something would work for me

However bringse to my issue before I found you guys I had a guy he installedy pentaire pump and dollar filter since it worked great never paiduch attention. Till now when I'm comfortable to start making some upgrades. Low and behold he installed my intake and out take backwards. My intake should be way below waterline with a gray cover with holes in it to avoid things like leaves and my out should be near top where eyeball should go. It's backwards he plumbed it wrong. Now I know y always frustrated that water level had to be so high to run pump without getting that sucking noise. How can I fix this reason I had someone else Inatall I'm handicap hands unsteady and my husband is a computer cut. I want very much to make following kids this year:
    1. Install my thru wall skimmer hawyard (not large mouth) which I purchased last yr and still not installed
    2. Run my auto vac once the skimmers installed I've been told can. Of run my auto vac without the skimmer
    3. Water fall PVC to cool my water gets up to 90 degrees here when our temps start staying at 110 live in az.

Help on what to do about the reversed plumbing should I fix that before adding amy mods if so how?

As always thank u for your help

4. Back To Top    #4

So I just bought one of your pool skims... The fittings included don't fit my return and I'm not sure what I need. Lowes was useless. I got some grumpy old man who didn't want to help me.

It looks like my existing ring on my return is 2" but like I said he was unable to help.

Went to the pool store but they were closed. Any idea what I need?

Thanks
    Installed in 2014 - 24' Round x 54" Bliss XL Above Ground Pool 14,090 gallons // Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch 350lb Sand Filter // Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed //
    Installed in 2015 - Hayward H200FDN Natural Guess Heater // K-2006 Test Kit
    Youngstown, OH 44514

5. Back To Top    #5

I got it.. I was trying to screw on the OUTTER threads of my return, not the inner.. Inner fit..

Hooked it up.. However, stuff is floating right past it!! Any help?

http://youtu.be/8ECxL_pCwjc

Thanks
    Installed in 2014 - 24' Round x 54" Bliss XL Above Ground Pool 14,090 gallons // Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch 350lb Sand Filter // Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed //
    Installed in 2015 - Hayward H200FDN Natural Guess Heater // K-2006 Test Kit
    Youngstown, OH 44514

6. Back To Top    #6

SWAG:

From what I saw in the video.... the skimmer needs to be lower in the water and it appears that, instead of a vacuum being created, the water is trying to bubble OUT of the skimmer... so that would be pushing things away from the skimmer.

Never having seen this thing, but having a rough idea how it must work.... I'd say (1) lower the skimmer or raise the water level and (2) make sure that whatever creates the suction (guessing a venturi) is aligned perfectly with the water coming out of the return (nozzle).