CLOUDY WATER! CANNOT KEEP CHLORINE, CYA IS A MYSTERY???

snyder5

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2011
Please help :hammer:
First of all results are:

FC 1.5
CC barely .5
TC 2.0
TA 110
CH 80
PH 7.8
CYA under 20, water does get cloudy, but I can still see a greyish dot! - I was clueless when first got pool and did my TF-100 first test and had not added CYA, so I kept saying, the d$@n dot is still there!!! Then, I think Butterfly asked me if I had ever added it? DUH me! I hadn't! Anyway, now I have added it, 3/4 of the total it said to, bc I saw if you get to much it's more of a pain to drain and add water to get it out. I started adding it 3 days ago, by a sock in my skimmer basket, I remember somewhere said that it could take up to a week to read. I have vaccuumed to waste once, bc the pool looks so cloudy and I always have high swimmer load. BUT, I am burning off bleach like nobodys business STILL!!! I just put in a big 6% 182oz jug at 10am.

Just cant keep bleach in! I know its hot, but, I've still gone through about 5 big jugs in the past three days. Pool still seems cloudier than when I finally got through shocking it all went downhill :rant: :rant: :rant:

I need :cheers:

Have you done and overnight FC loss test?

If you lose more than 1FC overnight you need to go through the shock process.
If you have more the .5 CC you need to shock

With a high swimmer load, the heat, and your cya not showing on the test yet.. it may just be that the chlorine is being used up that fast... esp. if you have other problems like cloudy water/algae.

If you allow your FC dip below what the range levels are for the cya you added are you are asking for trouble right now since it's been so hot out. FC at 1.5 is not high enough.

Yes :rant: I did :rant: , I passed...for one night :rant: :rant: :rant:

So, do I need to shock AGAIN :grrrr: ?

My husband may divorce me if I keep spending this much money on bleach. My daughters 4th Bday Party is Sun and I really need this pool looking good!!! So, if I have to...I have to :cry:

Do you tink thats what I should really do? Shock again?

Thanks so much!!!

Snyder5.

Since your pool is cloudy and consuming chlorine (and your chlorine is too low), there is little doubt you need to shock your pool.

1. How much CYA did you put in the pool?

2. How much ppm did you calculate that would give you?

3. When did you shock the pool?

4. Did you shock the pool according to the exact instructions in Pool School?

5. Have you put anything else in the pool other than Clorox over the last few weeks?

Started shocking immediatley, gonna be a long night :sleep:

Added 70-75oz of stabilzer, the granule looking one, by sock - calculator sad 88oz, so to make sure I didn't do too much I underdid it a little.

88oz, said it would give me 40 CYA, so, I thought I could get at least 30

Started shocking last Mon 7/25, and finally 7/31 overnight I only lost 1ppm of FC, pool looked clear and I followed all shocking in pool school. I did have a hard time bc I always have ALOT of swimmers! I took a week to look good, and alot of bleach and alot of scrubbing!!!

No, only added bleach to pool, actually it's been prob month-month and half since I even put in Soda or Borax, so, just bleach for a long time. I dont even walk into pool stores, haha, then on 7/31 started adding CYA (should have done it sooner), cya went in fast from sock in skimmer!

But, now this :?

Anyway, I'm shocking...again! And, here I thought the high swimload use to help keep the water stirred up, now, I think its hurting my cloudy pool :rant: :hammer:

What shock level are you using?

24 hours after adding the CYA, consider it in there and adjust FC/shock levels accordingly.

You should not be swimming while shocking. Also, along with brushing, make sure to check all nooks and crannies for possible algae hiding places :wink:

I was shocking to 20 ppm, on the higher level for my pool, but knew it was hot and had no CYA.

And, oh man! I thought I could let them swim an hour after adding bleach, :(, they weren't in it much, but I know it wasnt helping from the test readings:(

I really have to get in to brush or vac real well, is that ok? The pool wall is so high, I just cannot reach with any pressure?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.