To run the pump or not to run the pump???

May 8, 2007
El Paso, Texas
Not sure if I posted this in the right spot, I live in El Paso, and do not "close" the pool. i.e. drain, add antifreeze etc. for the last 2 winters I have reduce pump operation to 4 hours, at night, and test the water every 2 weeks, I have notice in the winter months the pool hardly uses any clorine (BBB method), I do keep my solar cover on, my question is, do I even have to run my pump at all?, or maybe a couple hours a week, my pool temp is 47, does algae grow in this low of temp? I know I would still have to have the power on for the freeze protection but do I need to run it every day?

IG/plaster 20,000 gal

thanks

It will depend on a lot of things, but I wouldn't stop running it completely. To add chlorine and control pH, you need to be able to circulate the water. I don't think it would hurt anything to try cutting back to 4 hours every other day (or maybe less) unless it's freezing. Algae CAN grow, but if you maintain chlorine, which is easy when it's cold, I bet it won't. Only a little experimentation will tell you how much you need to run it.

I can tell you from experience that the water in the pipes gets nasty smelling even when it's cold out. I cut my main drain line last spring to move my equipment, and it was several days before I couldn't smell the stuff on my hands. That was with no chlorine added over the winter.

Rock,

I am simply reinforcing John's advice. Shut down completely and the "nasties" will get in your pool and grow.

Using just a little circulation from time to time will keep your pool looking good. I'd consider reducing it to three hours daily for a week and, If I observed no changes, would reduce it to two hours daily....maybe even one hour daily but probably not less than that. Your own observations will tell you what's the least you can get by with.

Occasionally I will shut off my pump when the water temp goes below 50 degrees. At that point, algae has a very hard time growing and normally won't be an issue. The longest I have let it sit was a week but then the problem becomes leaves collecting on the bottom of the pool and it makes it harder for the cleaner to keep on top of it. So I don't usually let the pool stay idle for more than a few days. Normally during the winter months, I run the pump 2 hours per day and 6 hours in the summmer.

Hey thanks for all the replies, it sounds like i'm on the right track, I wanted to make sure that I wans't going way out in left field, I am going to do what duraleigh said, I guess I can call this a little experiment, I will run the pump for 3 hours a night for a week, then I will try 2, here in El Paso the only leaves I have to worry about is from my rose bushes, NO trees, but like John was saying I don't think I could not run it, well see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.