Please let me know if I am on right track

Jan 30, 2011
Danbury, Texas
Thank you for all yall do. My pool was built in April 2011. So this is all new to me.
We finally got some much needed rain this week if only 1.5 inches.(well below our usual) My DH topped off the pool prior to the rain so I thought I needed to shock it. Here are my test results prior to shock.
7/31 am
Water Clear
PH 6.8
FC 1
CC 0.5
TA 60
CH 470
CYA 100
So put in 4 lbs of Baking Soda waited an hour and put in 2lbs of shock

8/1
Water Clear
PH 7.2
FC 15
CC 0
TA 110
CH 390
CYA 100
Drained down to the skimmer and replaced water

8/2
Water Clear
PH 7.2
FC 14
CC 0
TA 112
CH 390
CYA 100

What do I need to do now? Drain more water and add more water? More Baking soda?
I took the water to 2 different pool companies on 8/1 to make sure I was testing correctly with your test kit.
both places had my FC at 6-7. but only one said my CYA was 150, the other put it at 55?
Thank you,
Marcella

GN...trust your TF100 results :goodjob:

With CYA at 100, you are going to run into issues long term. Rain in of itself is not a reason to shock the pool. If the water is clear, cc is 0.5 or below and you can pass the overnight FC loss test, there is no need to shock. If you pass those 3 criteria, just focus on reducing CYA a little bit at a time. :goodjob:

That said, shocking with CYA at 100 is extremly difficult and requires a lot of chlorine.

edit: sorry, just re-read your post, with 0 cc and clear water, to put you mind at ease you can perform the OFCLT if your chlorine consumption appears to be too high.

First off... Glad to hear you have a test kit!

What are you using to chlorinate your pool?

I would stay away from "shock products" and pucks which will only add to your excess of cya & ch. If you're are consistantly testing cya at 100, it is likely over that ... which is too high.

You only need to shock if your pool is showing signs of a problem.. cloudy, murky, green, if your FC levels have dropped below the recommended levels for your cya, cc is over .5, or if an overnight chlorine loss test has resulted in a loss of 1 FC or more.

I would dilute some pool water by half with some tap water and multiply that answer by 2 to get a better idea of what your cya really is. You will likely need to drain and refill some to make your FC levels manageable.

Do an overnight chlorine loss test to be sure you aren't losing more than 1 fc per night or you will need to bring the pool up to shock levels.

Take some time to read the pool school part of the forum, you will learn a lot! If you find you need to shock your pool, there is a section in pool school that tells all the details about when & how to shock your pool.

Shocking a pool is a process... not a product. You may be fine at this point... do an overnight fc loss test to see.

Ok dmanb2b and Suziqzer I will do a OFCLT. I guess I was trying to stay ahead of the green and gooey water to so the shock thing. Today I retest the CYA again and then will drain somemore water and replace and in the am do a redo on the test. Yes I have read about the bleach way to chlorinate and I will eventually change to that, but not yet. Thank you for all your advice.

garden:nut said:
Ok dmanb2b and Suziqzer I will do a OFCLT. I guess I was trying to stay ahead of the green and gooey water to so the shock thing. Today I retest the CYA again and then will drain somemore water and replace and in the am do a redo on the test. Yes I have read about the bleach way to chlorinate and I will eventually change to that, but not yet. Thank you for all your advice.

Hi garden:nut, Welcome to TFP!
This is where your going to make it hard on yourself! (this is self inflicting wound) :oops:
You must change to bleach or liquid chlorine and stay away from anything else for needing chlorine in your pool, all other chlorine products have side effect products that are added and NOT what you want to use! :whip:

You are starting to follow the rules and advice, but you can't just follow half of the rules like using pool store test results mixed with your own and only following half of the proper advice given here!
I was trying to do the same thing by mixing pool store results with my own and was confused some, :? so as I quit messing around with pool store results and relied on my TF-100 k test kit results only, followed pool school instructions with the help and support I got from posting any questions I had here, my pool did EXACTLY what it told to do and now the pool behaves and is very easy to maintain and care for!
MY pool is always PERFECT and screaming for us to come swimming every minute of the day or night!

Because of the support I received here, I was very glad to become a LIFETIME member for TFP! :whoot:
PS: Oh by the way... my pool cost me $8.41 to care for it all of July (in FL no less) last month except electric to run the pool pump.

Chuck

Like supertune said
This is where your going to make it hard on yourself! (this is self inflicting wound) :oops:
You must change to bleach or liquid chlorine and stay away from anything else for needing chlorine in your pool, all other chlorine products have side effect products that are added and NOT what you want to use! :whip:

You are just going to be chasing your tail if you continue to use the "other" sanitizing products such as pucks or "shock". If you're afraid of throwing money away by not using the stock you have on hand, you can save those products until you need cya or ch and then use them sparingly until your levels are back to where they should be.

Chlorine is inexpensive. Make the switch sooner than later... you'll be glad you did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.