Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calculating gallons of water in pool...

1. Back To Top    #1

Calculating gallons of water in pool...

I need some help calculating the amount of gallons in my pool. All of the pool calculators I have used do not give the option to calculate an L shaped or maybe I just missed it. My pool dimension are 18x46x30x18 with standard 3' shallow end and 8'6" deep end.
    41K L shape Vinyl IG, 2.0hp Jandy stealth pump, 300lb sand filter, Autopilot Dig-220 SC-60 cell, Dolphin Oasis Z5.

2. Back To Top    #2
    to calculate the volume of an L shaped pool break it into it's two rectangular areas, calculate each one separately and then add the two volumes obtained together to get your total volume.

The formula for calculating a rectangular pool (there are two in a L shaped pool!) is:
    Length x Width x Average Depth x7.5
    (Length x Width x Average Depth gives you the volume in cubic feet and there are approx. 7.5 gallons of water in each cubic foot)

To calculate the average depth you can add the deep and shallow ends together in each of your rectangles and divide by 2 if the slope is fairly even throughout. If it is not it will be more accurate to actually take depth measurements every foot or so and average them.

3. Back To Top    #3

Simearl, Welcome to TFP!!

Of course Evan (Waterbear) is right! I just ran the numbers and (assuming that the shallow end is 18 X 30 and from the 'break' to the deep end is 18 X 28 with a constant slope and flat bottomed hopper) get the following:

18 * 30 = 540
    540 * 3 = 1620
    1620 * 7.5 = 12,150

18 * 28 = 504
    504 * 5.5 = 2772
    2772 * 7.5 = 20, 790

20,790 + 12,150 = 32,940 so call it 33,000 gal and you should be pretty close.

If the reason for calculating is to add chems, be sure to underdose the pool! These calculations have a good bit of 'slop' in them and it's easier to have to add chems in 2 doses than to overshoot your mark and have to add another chem, or worse - drain some water and refill, to bring the levels back down.

Again, welcome to the forum - we'll be here if you have any more questions
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I wasn't sure how I needed to calculate the gallons. This will help me when calculating the chems.
    41K L shape Vinyl IG, 2.0hp Jandy stealth pump, 300lb sand filter, Autopilot Dig-220 SC-60 cell, Dolphin Oasis Z5.