Pool coping, is it supposed to be pitched away from pool?

JFlax

Jul 28, 2011
Currently replacing my pool coping and redoing my patio around my pool. The patio will be pitched away from the pool, but the mason feels it's ok to keep the coping (bluestone) level with the pool?

From what I understood the coping should be pitched away from the pool as well. Is this accurate or is the patio the only area that needs to be pitched away from the pool?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Re: Pool coping, is it supposed to be pitched away from pool

Maybe it depends on the material of the coping??? I'd thnk stone you'd want level but that's just what I think.. Whether it's right or not is another story. It's probably left up to personal preference too.

Mine is pitched away, and I can't think of any pool I've ever been in where it's not.

You don't want anything running into the pool. Imagine this: patio is somewhat dirty. Someone climbs out of the pool, dripping. Patio now has thin mud on it. And it's running into the pool....

I've got travertine and if it's sloped away from the pool, it is sloped EVER SO SLIGHTLY. Now the deck on the other hand is visually obvious that it's sloped away from the pool. When I get out, water does remain on the travertine, but in this weather, it doesn't exist for longer than 1 minute before it's gone. He can certainly keep it a bubble out on the level and you'll never notice that "EVER SO SLIGHTLY"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.