Can someone look at my numbers and tell me what I'm doing w

Re: Can someone look at my numbers and tell me what I'm doin

By getting worse, do you mean pool is looking worse? Have you done a OCLT? See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

Is the pool always above minimum shock level (poolcalculator gave me 13 ppm for your CYA level of 30)?

How are you getting your test results?

Your CH is extremely low...I am not an expert on CH...but I have read that 50 ppm minimum is recommended for vinyl. I doubt this is your problem though.

Yes, the pool is actually looking worse. It's turning a darker green. My OCLT will drop from 15 to 9 or 10. It DOES NOT want to hold?

Dark green, murky or clear green? What test kit are you using to confirm the CYA of 30ppm? CC of 1ppm confirms you are not done shocking yet.

Assuming you are using 15 as a shock level, how much more chlorine are you adding after your last at/right after dark addition?

Did you measure FC after adding the gallon?

I understand dark green, but clear or murky and are you running the filter 24x7?

FC was measured about 10 hours after adding the gallon. I would call it murky. Yes, filter is running 24/7 has been for over a week. It's a Hayward 3/4 hp (I think) with a 100# sand filter. I've been backwashing daily and brushing once a day.

Sounds like you are still fighting something. Make sure to not let your FC level drop below 14 ever. I would continue to do the OCLT to track your progress (or lack of) and let us know what you are getting.

wcrasmus said:
FC was measured about 10 hours after adding the gallon. I would call it murky. Yes, filter is running 24/7 has been for over a week. It's a Hayward 3/4 hp (I think) with a 100# sand filter. I've been backwashing daily and brushing once a day.

You'll want to measure FC about 30 mins after adding chlorine to confirm you are hitting shock level. Unless you are actually confirming FC is at shock level, you can not be sure you are shocking. As linen stated, continue shocking.

What brand of bleach are you using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hi wcrasmus,
I would make sure you confirm your CYA, then look at chart for shock value #, and I would add until I got at least 3ppm higher than the chart #, this will hopefully let your FC # NEVER fall below your FC shock #.
My shock # was 16, so I always added to get to 19-20 as here in Florida it's very hot now and with 8-9 hour work days I wanted to never be under 16, This was a big help to get my pool to clear up, in the beginning I was falling behind sometimes and was taking forever.

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.