Does bleach increase the salt level in SWG's?

bunedockmama

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2010
A few weeks ago my system was beeping low salt. PC recomended to add 6lb of salt. I only added 1/2 of that. My salt level the last time I "wrote" it down was 3100 on 6/26/11.
Just checked it today and it's reading 3960!

I have been shocking with bleach trying to stay @18 FC and only running the FP 24/7 since 7/13/11.

Yesterday was the first day I turned the SWG back on. Just wondering if all the bleach adds salt or is it due to my water level evaporation?
BTW, the bleach got the pool from a greenish and cloudy pool, to now just slightly cloudy. Still trying to stay @18 FC. I keep loosing anywhere from 4 to 6 ppm overnight.

According to the poolcalculator for your size pool, a gallon of 6% bleach raises you salt level by 27 ppm (not a bunch). So for it to go up ~ 800 ppm you would have to add ~30 gallons of 6% bleach (seems like a lot for your size pool). Is your water level lower than when you were at 3100?

I would turn of the swg until you are done with the shocking process. No need to use up some of its life shocking.

linen said:
According to the poolcalculator for your size pool, a gallon of 6% bleach raises you salt level by 27 ppm (not a bunch). So for it to go up ~ 800 ppm you would have to add ~30 gallons of 6% bleach (seems like a lot for your size pool). Is your water level lower than when you were at 3100?

I think I have used thru the process so far 8 1/2 182? oz bottles of bleach 6%. Yes I believe my water is probably lower than it was then, it has been really hot near Houston and the Grandkids do alot of splashing.

I would turn of the swg until you are done with the shocking process. No need to use up some of its life shocking.
Thanks for the advice, I was wondering if I should have started it back up yet. I'm going to shut it down right now, and add some water, thanks again.

I still don't know why the pool won't completely clear. I know I'm getting stuff returning from the returns, put a sock on it while vacuuming the other night and large stuff was stuck inside. I can't see any tears in the cr###y filter, but put in a different one anyway.

bunedockmama said:
Yes I believe my water is probably lower than it was then, it has been really hot near Houston and the Grandkids do alot of splashing.
The evaporation would raise your salt levels, if you do not replace the water (bring the level back up). The Grandkids splashing will remove water with the salt still dissolved in it, so that would lower you salt level if you refilled with non-salt water.

What is your CYA level?

linen said:
bunedockmama said:
Yes I believe my water is probably lower than it was then, it has been really hot near Houston and the Grandkids do alot of splashing.
The evaporation would raise your salt levels, if you do not replace the water (bring the level back up). The Grandkids splashing will remove water with the salt still dissolved in it, so that would lower you salt level if you refilled with non-salt water.

What is your CYA level?

I'm keeping it pretty low while shocking, its right around 35 +/-. PC say's to add 1 lb. Would the lower CYA keep my water from getting sparkly?

bunedockmama said:
I'm keeping it pretty low while shocking, its right around 35 +/-. PC say's to add 1 lb. Would the lower CYA keep my water from getting sparkly?
It is a little low for your swg (what model do you have), but do not adjust it until you are done with the shocking process. Could you post your latest test results FC,CC? Also, what was your last pH reading before you started the shocking process?

linen said:
bunedockmama said:
It is a little low for your swg (what model do you have), but do not adjust it until you are done with the shocking process. Could you post your latest test results FC,CC? Also, what was your last pH reading before you started the shocking process?

These are results from about 2:30 today:

FC=17
CC=.5
TC=17.5
CYA=35

The last ph on 7/12 was 7.5

Thanks for the help.

I would not let the FC level drop below 14 ppm (from the CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school) through the evening, then do another OCLT and post your results tomorrow morning. When doing the OCLT, make sure your nighttime measurement is after the sun goes down, and the next morning measurement is before there is any sun on the pool.

linen said:
I would not let the FC level drop below 14 ppm (from the CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school) through the evening, then do another OCLT and post your results tomorrow morning. When doing the OCLT, make sure your nighttime measurement is after the sun goes down, and the next morning measurement is before there is any sun on the pool.

Will try to do this tonight. I wanted to add some bleach about 30 mins ago, but Hubby is just now getting in the pool. Will have to wait, probably add 1 qt and get a new test after it circulates.

I will post results in the AM. I sure hope I pass this time. I'm starting to feel like a flunky.LOL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well at least you know you are still killing something. How does the water look? You drop was not huge last night, so that is a good sign. Make sure you continue to constantly stay above you minimum shock level!

linen said:
Well at least you know you are still killing something. How does the water look? You drop was not huge last night, so that is a good sign. Make sure you continue to constantly stay above you minimum shock level!

The water looks pretty good when no ones in it or vacuuming. When I vacuum its starts looking milky. My liner bottom is white so that doesn't help. We vacuumed yesterday afternoon and this AM I see more dirt on the bottom.

Thanks for the encouragement Linen.

Re: Does bleach increase the salt level in SWG's? TESTs

If Linen or anyone else is still watching this thread (probably should have kept it all with my First t100 test thread). Here are my results from today.

bunedockmama said:
Results last night 8 PM 8/1/11
FC=17.5
CC=.5
TC=18

8/2/11 8 am today:
FC=15
CC=1.5?
TC=16.5

FLUNKED MY TEST AGAIN :oops:

8/2/11
9am added 1 qt 6% bleach
11 AM added 3 1/2 cups bleach
12:30 5 GRANDKIDS SWAM FOR 1 HOUR
5:30 pm brushed pool
6 pm added 2 qts bleach
7 pm vacuum with sock on return
8 pm tested:

FC=21 (I hoped it would be higher after adding 2 qts)
CC=.75 ( It almost clears at 1 drop)
TC=21.75

Your levels look decent to me. Going from 15 to 21 I calculate 47 ounces of 6%, you added ~100 ounces today. Sun, swimming, finishing killing algae(hopefully)...you lost ~53 ounces today...seems believable. Do the OCLT...we might be close! Question, is the sun off you pool at 8pm and still off you pool at 8am?

linen said:
Your levels look decent to me. Going from 15 to 21 I calculate 47 ounces of 6%, you added ~100 ounces today. Sun, swimming, finishing killing algae(hopefully)...you lost ~53 ounces today...seems believable. Do the OCLT...we might be close! Question, is the sun off you pool at 8pm and still off you pool at 8am?

Hi Linen, so glad to see you again.
Yes the sun is off my pool around 6 pm and doesn't hit till about 8:30 in the am. After around 10 am it is in full sun till I'd say 5 to 5:30 pm.

I would hazard a guess that the pool sits on the north part of my property.
I have alot of very tall pines and the dreaded sweetgums.

Good morning,

I flunked even worse over night!

Last night at 8 pm recap:
FC=21
CC=.75

TODAY 8/3/11 @ 7:45 AM
FC=15.5
CC= 1.0
TC=16.5
Water looks cloudy :hammer:

I'm starting to suspect someone is messing with the pool after we go to sleep!

I flunked even worse over night!
Looking at it another way would be that you killed more tonight than last night since you FC level was higher to start with. It sounds like your pool is more cloudy, so that could be a sign of more dead algae that will just take some time to filter out. Those numbers do suggest you are still fighting something pretty significant. You mentioned some trees near the pool, are you removing that material often? It is important to keep leaves, etc. out of the pool. Make sure you brush the pool at least once each day as well.

It appears you have been doing the shocking process for 3 weeks. I have helped people who have taken over a month to clear their pool. In that case, they were allowing the FC to roller coaster, meaning they would go long periods (1/2 days) without re dosing chlorine and they would drop below their shock level. Once they understood not to let it drop to far, it still took them 2 weeks to finish.

Hi Linen,

Thanks for making see that I may still be killing stuff. :-D
I haven't let the FC get below 14 since I started to get agressive with the shock process and that was overnight OCLT.

Thanks again for helping me.

Hope I don't get in too much trouble for doing this tonight. I don't feel real well and I'm going to do some assuming on my over night test.

8/3/11 6:15 test
FC=17
CC=1
TC=18
Hubby finally got out and I added 1 qt bleach and brushed the sides and bottom, leaving a regular sock on the return.
Then put another qt of bleach in within 20 minutes.
Am I correct by using the PC that should bring me to about 25 FC for OCLT or should I just forget that calc. and start again in the AM?

I had added 2 qts earlier total thru the day.

Please be gentle with me and thank you to everyone TFP!

One other thing I would like to know about. 5 of my 10 Grandchildren are mixed and 3 of those have very long beautiful hair. They use regular cream rinse on their hair but it doesn't get rinsed out, they shampoo every 2 day's and every day they wet their hair and use more cream rinse. Could this be one of the reason the pool get so murky white looking after they swim? I try to make them keep their hair up but it just doesn't work. They have some heavy hair. LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.