Adding sand filter to pool!

JulieLeo

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Ok -

So I ordered the Walmart Intex Sand/SWG system great deal suggested by BBBliever a few days ago. Haven't received it yet but expect delivery around 7/28. I ihave a boatload of questions. Not sure if this is the correct forum to post, but seems to be along the same topic.

My pool is a Summer Escapes 12' and have the skimmer/pump that is up against the side of the pool wall. So I would hook up the sand filter as with the 18' instructions above?

Also, there are so many places to read about the SWG system, I don't know where to read first or what questions to ask.

Need some sage advice to help get this system connected and running correctly.

Thanks,

Re: Adding sand filter to 18' round Summer Escape pool - HEL

JulieLeo- After hearing from all of the above posters, I would just hook it up after taking the impeller out. The adapter piece will work on your size pump, but it costs $30 with shipping. I'm planning on just sending my adapter back when it gets here since everything I've read says it doesn't work and everyone on here saying you don't need it.

Quick question, might be a stupid question, but...I'm assuming you still want to keep the strainer basket in the skimmer? Do you keep a filter in the skimmer? Sorry, just want to make sure I get this done right.

I still use the cartridge filter in the skimmer. You don't have to use it. I like the idea of filtering out the small bugs and fine dirt before it hits the sand filter. Overkill? Maybe. Lol. You can tell when it needs a rinsing off as there will be less water in the pump basket due to the restriction of the dirty cartridge.

So my next question is what kind of sand is best for the filter?
Do I need to buy salt? If so, what's the best kind?

With only a month or so more, wondering if I should wait till next year to set up the new pump/filter/swg system.

In Atlanta here so I'm still trying to decide if I need to leave the pool filled or take everything down for the winter.

Any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.

You'll need to buy pool filter sand #20/21. It's specially sized for pool sand filters. Some of the big box stores have it and most pool stores carry it.

Whether you put it up now or next year is really your call. I'd go ahead and hook it up if it were me. That way you could get used to operating it and it'd be easier next year when you set it back up.

As for the salt, any salt labeled as pool salt or water softener salt should be fine. I live just north of Nashville and I followed normal winterizing procedures for an above ground pool last winter without any problems. I suspect you would most likely be safe in Atlanta if you properly close the pool and winterize. The money I spent on a winter cover and air pillows was very well spent when you consider how much work it saved me.

Thanks so much for the replies and advice! I will check on the sand and salt this weekend and hoping we can figure out a way to install the appropriate electrical outlet. Right now we're running the skimmer filter on an extension cord no problems at all. I know that won't work with the 1600 Intex sand filter/SWCG system we just got from WM. Only problem is the first estimate we got was about $500 to run the outlet! We may have to wait till next year to install the new pump after all.

I have my sand filter and SWCG running into a three pronged heavy duty 50ft 15 amp extenstion cord ($30). Maybe not advised by the experts but it is working for me. If you want to eliminate any safety concerns just dont run it when the pool is in use.

This pool location is temporary for me. As the kids grow the pool will move. When it gets to its final location I will run 220v and get a real pool filter/pump.

Just wanted to mention that the adapter brought up earlier in the thread does work nicely on these Summer Escapes pools.

I have a 14' x 42" that has the adapter installed, and have had no problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok - it's going to feel like mid-June today. 89 degrees. We have opened the pool and cleaned it out. Then last fall when we closed it up, DH siphoned water out to bring the water level down to just below the skimmer, but then didn't remove the hose and it continued to drain practically all the water out of the pool! Also, over the winter, the pool cover fell into the pool with all the leaves in it and that was a mess. So we drained it all the way and cleaned out all the dirt, leaves and pollen, repositioned the pool so the skimmer was easier to reach. It was in a very inconvenient place last year.

Also this weekend we installed the new 1600 sand filter pump that we bought last July from WM. After much gnashing of teeth between me and my DH, (we don't work well together when it comes to these kinds of projects) we finally got it working fine. We are using a 50' 15 amp ext. cord as mentioned above to run the pump, but when we swim, the cord will be unplugged. We had to modify the Intex hose connections to fit the Summer Escapes black pump under the skimmer and the return connector at the pool...that was the frustrating part...but it does seem to be working as it should with no leaks. We used the Summer Escapes clamps on the modified Intex hoses to ensure a tight fit. Also we didn't install the flush valves...connections too big and I didn't want to cut the return opening. The sediment on the pool floor is still there, so we thought that if we swirl the water around it will kick up the debris and that might get picked up by the skimmer and the filter. We also have a small hand-held Pool Blaster vacuum. So we can get the water pretty clean that way.

With all that said and done, I still feel like it's all 'jerry-rigged' because we had to adapt the hoses and use the ext. cord, but it's the best we could do at the moment. I still want to install the swg we got with the filter/pump, but I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed at the moment.

I'm the one who has to do all the maintenance on the pool. DH is not mechanical savvy although he think he is. He doesn't want to take time to read directions, so I had to read them 10x before they made sense to me, but we finally, got it running. Whew!!!!

One question - When I install the SWG to the pump, which side should it go on, the pump side or the filter side? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I'll post some pics after we get it all set up and looking good. It's a small pool and nothing like the gorgeous ones on this site but, hey, it's wet and refreshing! :)

Jason -- A few more questions.

1) Does the skimmer pump need to run at the same time as the Intex pump?
2) When I attach the vacuum plate on the skimmer to vacuum the pool doesn't that restrict the water flow through the skimmer to the sand filter pump?
3) Is there a way to bleed the air from the hoses when turn the pump back on?
4) Should both pumps run 24/7?

JulieLeo - Pics of your setup would be helpful in assisting you.
1) I would disable/remove the skimmer pump. Not doing any good and might be restricting flow of water through your Intex pump/filter.
2) It might restrict it a little but should be ok. I would worry more about the skimmer pump.
3) Get us some pics and read Intex pump manual.
4) Not needed unless you are shocking. But also read here: pool-school/pump_run_time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.